TWO

«——— CHAPTER TWO ———»
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

"ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE OKAY WITH GOING TO THE PANDEMONIUM AFTER Simon's gig?" Clary asked as they walked back to the Fray's residence after their lunch with Simon

"ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE OKAY WITH GOING TO THE PANDEMONIUM AFTER Simon's gig?" Clary asked as they walked back to the Fray's residence after their lunch with Simon. "We could do something else," Clary suggested as the honking of an angry Taxi zipped past to the right of them.

May looked down at the stone sidewalk, kicking a stray rock that had found its way under her boot. It was not a good idea to go to the Club. It was a major hotspot for the supernatural. It would be a huge risk for them to go.

However, Clary was so excited and there was so much to celebrate with her recent admission into her dream school and her brithday-- she couldn't bear to tell her no and disappoint her.

"Are you kidding, Clary? Today's your day and who am I to ruin your night?" She asked, hugging Clary's arm. The girls stopped at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change. "Besides, I'm planning on ordering a few drinks and enjoying the night with you and Simon and Maureen." She listed off.

"Right. Maureen." Clary said skeptically.

"What?"

"I thought you didn't like Maureen."

May pursed her lips. "You know I don't. But she's the only member in Simon's band now that he and Eric parted ways. And I want to be able to support Si in all of his music stuff."

"Eric was an ass." Clary huffed. Thinking about the boy that had left not more than a few months prior after a falling out with Simon, who he had considered his best friend up to that point.

"Yeah, but he was very cute." May corrected. The light flashed for them to cross so they did, dodging the cyclist that almost ran into them. Clary sent her an unimpressed.

"Anyway... Maureen is snippy and gives you an attitude. With her side comments and remarks, I always have to bite my tongue around her." May said.

"You say quite a lot to her for someone who bites her tongue."

"It just slips out sometimes." May defended.

They had to walk around a group of girls that were didn't bother to move out of the way for them. One of the blondes wore skin-tight jeans with a low-cut top and didn't bother to look up from her phone. May's eyes trailed her as she passed.

Clary cleared her throat and May turned her attention back to her. "So, I can handle Maureen and the Pandemonium for one night. It's not going to kill me."

"If you're sure..."

"I am." May declared. "I'll do everything I can to make this your most memorable birthday yet."

Clary looked to her cousin with a look of admiration in her eye. May held a smile on her lips, carried her portfolio for her, and hugged her arm. Clary couldn't explain how grateful she was of the girl she considered a sister. May did so much for Clary without even needing to ask. She couldn't imagine where she would be without her.