TWENTY-THREE

«—CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE—»
WRITING WRONGS

MAY HAD BEEN TYPING AWAY AT A COMPUTER ALL AFTERNOON

MAY HAD BEEN TYPING AWAY AT A COMPUTER ALL AFTERNOON. She was also trying to call Clary every thirty minutes, but only got her voicemail with each dial. Every time that automated voice answered, her heart sank deeper and deeper into the depth of stomach.

She had been hoping that with the sun being at its peak and the hours she had to think about it that Clary was ready to put Simon to rest.

The decision of what to do with Simon was really crawling up her back, whispering in her ear and fogging her mind, making it hard to read over the many emails she was getting from the Clave and the many reports about Valentine's past work.

She smiled at the report she had written for the Clave. Maybe it was a little kiss-ass-ish of her to write such a good report on the Lightwood family and their work at the Institute but she was just being honest and she wasn't going to cover up how she felt about the Institute and how it was being run.

May was looking over her messages when a new one popped up from the Clave. It was a letter sent to a special group of people and her name must have mistakenly been added to the list of recipients.

The girl scrolled through most of it but gasped when she read through the last lines. The lines that read that the Lightwoods were to lose all control of the New York Institute.

May leaned back in her seat and stared at the screen.

They were really doing this? Now? When the Clave's focus should be on finding and stopping Valentine? Instead, they focused on frivolous politics and the inner workings of a system that stood strong for so long.

May shook her head and scoffed. She couldn't let it happen. She couldn't let the Clave take away something so special to the Lightwood name. Izzy and Alec were losing everything. Their free will to love who they want, their own expression of who they are through something so simple as what they wore.

May wasn't blind. She saw the sudden change Izzy went through the second her parents came back. She had mentioned how she broke up with Meliorn, the Seelie she was seeing. She had cleaned out her closet of anything revealing and suddenly took charge of a lot of things that she hadn't before. She was being the diplomat. The job Alec was trained for years to eventually have.

May wouldn't even mention Alec and what he will be sacrificing for the family name. Marrying some woman he had never met just because his parents told him to. May knew he wouldn't say no. Alec was trained not to.

Maybe it was the fact that May remembered what the Institute was like years prior when she would visit. Or maybe it's the fact that they stuck their neck out for her and her mom many years ago. Giving them a place of refuge while her mom ran from something bigger than her but May couldn't help but feel she had to do something about it. Only one thought came to mind.