1.0

*mature content*

*mature content*

River sighed as she placed the basket outside of the door after calling out to Ada several times before giving up. She had been trying to get the woman out of her room for the past few days after Polly had asked her to help.

She felt bad for the young woman, having gone through labour only for her husband to be taken away from her. She had her doubts about it being Tommy who had betrayed him.

"I'll see you later, Ada." The woman sighed before stalking away, pulling the hood of her coat over her head to stop the cool air from lashing at her face.

She had planned to meet her father at the Shelby household after, asking him to get her alcohol she had left at the garrison while she had gone to visit Ada- the two agreeing to meet back at the Shelby's after.

As the woman made her way down the streets, the basket with the rotting food in her hand, she allowed herself to glance around- noticing how every person inched away from her in fear.

It made River frown- even though she enjoyed the fact no one would attempt to touch her, she hated the look every child gave her as she casually strolled through the streets.

River knocked on the front door of the Shelby house before pushing the door open, sighing as she put the basket down, pulling off her coat before gripping the basket in her hand again, making her way towards the kitchen.

"She still hasn't eaten a thing, pol-"

River stopped speaking as she walked into the room, her eyes settling on the man sat at the head of the table. Arthur Senior.

Her father was stood next to Polly, the Shelby boys were gathered in the room and as she gently placed the basket onto the table, she noticed the tension settling.

"This is yours, Daryl?" The man spoke at the table causing the woman to cross her arms, glaring slightly at the man who was grinning at her father, "She's grown into a beautiful woman."

"Get out," Tommy spoke, not bothering to let Daryl speak as he stepped in front of River.

"Come on, son," Arthur senior spoke as he stood up, "I'm a changed man."

River scoffed, shaking her head at the man, he had left the family to fend for themselves, Polly having the responsibility of all of the boys after their mother had passed away and he had left leaving her to not live her life how she wanted to.

The woman knew she had left them as well, but she couldn't help that- it wasn't her choice.

"This family needed you ten years ago and you walked out on us." Tommy almost growled out, "Not now. Get out of this house."

"Tommy, he's different." Arthur junior had tried to reason and River felt for the man, he had been so attached to his father when he was younger that when he left, he played it off as his father going on a holiday.