Chapter 2: Route 1

Sapphire opened the door to her house. Her mother was having a homemade chicken burger for lunch. She finished chewing her food and looked at her daughter.

"Hi honey, did you get your Squirtle from Professor Oak's place?" She asked her.

"No, I didn't" said Sapphire proudly. "I got this pokemon instead!"

Sapphire took out her pokeball and sent out Popplio. She was wobbly on her flippers and was hurt from her previous battle against Emerald's Rowlet.

Lily gasped.

"It's hurt! Poor thing. I've never seen this pokemon before in my life!"

"She's a girl. She is a Popplio and when Professor Oak said that they did not have any of the normal Kanto starter pokemon, they brought new ones in."

"Where is she from?" Her mother asked.

"From the Alola region. He said that she was from Professor Kukui!"

Lily closed her eyes and started dreaming. She smiled.

"Oh, I would love to go there! Beautiful tropical islands! Too bad I don't have the money."

"Wouldn't dad like to go too?"

Sapphire could see anger and guilt in her mother's eyes.

"You know I divorced him when you were a baby!" Lily said angrily. "I told you not to talk about him!"

"Sorry" Sapphire said softly.

"Good!" She let out a huff. "Now, about your Popplio..."

Lily took out a potion from her bag and sprayed it on the injured seal pokemon.

"She needs rest before you go." Lily told Sapphire. "Why don't you stay the night!"

Sapphire nodded. She spent the whole afternoon playing a game on her laptop. She spent the evening playing with her Popplio and having fish and chips for dinner.

"Goodnight mum" she whispered to her before she turned the lights off.

Sapphire was nice and warm, snuggling against her Popplio who was fast asleep. Sapphire was an early lark and usually wakes up early in the morning. She and Popplio woke up at 6:00 am and hurried downstairs, all dressed and packed (with potions, a map, water bottle and some pokeballs) and got out of the doors. She recalled her Popplio. She then looked around, Ruby and Emerald was nowhere in sight. Sapphire got to the entrance of Route 1 and read a sign.

"Attention new trainers! You must have your first pokemon before you enter this Route! Wild Pidgeys, Rattatas and Spearow live in this area. There had been sightings of Pidgeottos and Raticates as well. "

Sapphire started walking through the tall grass to get to a dirt path. She heard some scattering in there. Once on the path, a small purple rat pokemon with red eyes poked it's head out of the tall grass. It started nibbling some bread crumbs left by another trainer. Sapphire took out her rotom phone and scanned the little purple pokemon.

"This pokemon is Rattata, a normal type. Its fangs are long and very sharp. They grow continuously, so it gnaws on hard things to whittle them down. It also bites anything when it attacks. Small and very quick, it is a common sight in many places. This Rattata is female."