Chapter 9: Route 3 and Green's Egg Hatches!

When Sapphire woke up early the next day, everyone else was still asleep. She decided to hit the battlefield next to the Pokemon Centre to train her Pokemon up. When she got outside, the sun was rising and the sky was orange and yellow. Because Pikachu haven't battled in the battle against Brock, she decided to train him. She sent out her Popplio as his opponent.

"Pika Pikachu! Bwark Bwark!" They cried

When Popplio hit Pikachu with her aqua jet attack, Sapphire ordered Pikachu to use his tackle. However his movement was much quicker and he darted on the ground to hit Popplio!

Her rotom phone rung. "Pikachu had learnt quick attack!"

"Wow!" Gasped Sapphire.

She then ordered Popplio to use water gun on Pikachu. He dodged it. Pikachu then hit Popplio with his super effective thunder shock attack. After dealing a lot of damage to Popplio, Sapphire called out the battle and recalled both Popplio and Pikachu. She went inside to heal her Pokemon at Nurse Joy's station. The sun had risen well above the horizon now.  After Nurse Joy took Sapphire's Pokemon, she was greeted by Green who was now awake.

"Training your Pokemon, Sapphire?" Assumed Green.

"How did you know?" Sapphire seemed surprised.

"I saw you give two pokeballs to Nurse Joy. You must've made them fight each other."

"Yes and while battling my Popplio, my Pikachu learnt quick attack!" Boasted Sapphire.

"They are getting stronger!" Smiled Green.

"Are Ruby and Emerald awake yet?" Sapphire asked Green.

"Yes and they already left!" Shouted Green.

"Wow!" Sapphire was shocked.

"Oh!" Gasped Green. "And by the way, Sapphire, Nurse Joy did a scan of my egg before you came inside and she said it is going to hatch very soon!"  

She pulled out the container with her pale yellow egg with a black ring, out of her bag.

"We'll keep an eye on it today!" Said Green sweetly. "I can't wait to see what will hatch from it!"

Just as she said that, the egg suddenly turned white and glowed briefly!

"Wow it must be really close to hatching!" Gasped Sapphire.

Suddenly, a number  flashed on the screen. It was the same number as Sapphire's piece of paper. She went up to Nurse Joy and got back her pokeballs containing her Popplio and Pikachu. It didn't take very long! There are not many trainers at the Pokemon centre in the morning with injured Pokemon.

Sapphire and Green left the Pokemon centre and headed east. They eventually reached the edge of Pewter City and saw a sign.

"This path leads into Route 3! Pidgeys, Pidgeottos, Rattatas, Spearows, Mankeys, Sandshrews, Igglybuffs and Jigglypuffs are known to live in this area! Nidorans are known live this area. There also have been sightings of Pidgeots, Raticates, Sandslash, Nidorina and Nidorino as well! Beware, Nidorians can poison you and your Pokemon. Please pack some antidotes in your bag, just in case!"

"Wow!" Gasped Sapphire. "There are a lot of Pokemon in this route!"

"Yes, and we packed antidotes, super potions and a couple of revives, so we are good!" Smiled Green.

They walked into the tall grass, looking for wild Pokémon.

A sand coloured shrew Pokémon with armour appeared. It looked at Sapphire curiously.