For the better

It was in the early morning hours, when they both lay, completely exhausted but happier than ever, naked in each other's arms. She had snuggled up in the curve of his left arm, her head on his chest, her hand lovingly playing with his chest hair, while he was tenderly stroking her back and placed soft kisses on her hair.

"Steph?"

"Mmmm?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure.", she muttered and yawned slightly. Even she, the nightbird, was tired by now and their passionate love-making that had lasted for the last few hours had truly exhausted her.

"Okay..", he smiled sweetly at her and placed a lingering kiss on her forehead, "Well, before we... You know..."

"Had amazing sex?", she smirked.

"Yeah.", he grinned, "Well, back then you said something to me.."

"What do you mean? I said a lot before you fucked my brain out!"

"Steph!", he chuckled and nudged her playfully in response.

They shared a laugh until Lindsey eventually went on: "Well, you said something like you waited for me all this time to come back to you.."

"I did."

"Is that true?!", he was shocked.

"Yeah..", she said quietly.

"Oh God! That means all this time I could have had you back?!"

"All this time?!", she asked slightly confused, looking up at him with wide eyes.

"I never wanted to leave you back in '98.."

"I know.."

"You knew?!"

"Of course, I knew, Lindsey... I made you go."

"Why did you do that?!"

"Because it was the right thing to do! You wanted a family. I couldn't give you that. So, I had to let you go, so you could be happy."

"I wasn't happy.."

"What?!"

"I wasn't happy at all, Steph.."

She lifted up her head and looked at him.

"I've always wanted to come back to you..", he went on, "I wanted it the very minute you threw me out of your house.."

"Don't say such things..", she said slowly.

"I thought you stopped loving me.. That's why I never came back.."

"I've never stopped loving you, Linds..", she said with tears in her eyes, "You have to believe me! I've always loved you.. It broke my heart to watch you go. I thought I'd die from heartbreak... I still think I've never really recovered.. After all, there must be a reason why I've been single all this time.. It just never felt right with anyone else.."

"You waited for me to come back?", he asked again, his voice slightly trembling now.

"Always."

"I wish I knew..", he was close to crying by now, "I would have come back. Jeez, I would have never left. I would have made you mine years ago.. Or at least at the last tour.."

"I fell so badly for you again during the last tour...", she admitted sheepishly.

"You did?!"

"Remember Vegas?"

"Sure."

"Do I need to explain more?"

"So, those tears were for me?"