Chapter Thirty: The Kiss

Before I even open my eyes, I realize that something has changed. Why? I can feel a strong arm draped against my torso, holding me securely in place.

My mind works slowly thanks to the fact that I just woke up, but it doesn't take much to realize that Finnick's hold on me is also thanks to one of his legs which has draped over my torso. He has curled into my body, intertwining us together into a strangely intimate position. My hand is still near his hair - I fell asleep still touching it - but it is at the bottom, more clasping his neck than anything.

I open my eyes, resisting the urge to yawn. This is - actually, I feel so well rested right now. Most nights I dream of James or wake up at the tiniest sounds convinced that there is an intruder in my home. Not last night: that was the longest amount of uninterrupted sleep I've gotten since I got back from the Games.

My eyes instantly meet Finnick's.

Our faces are just barely not touching. His position around me means that his head is a bit lower than mine, but it is curled upwards to face me and, in this position, I would barely have to move to kiss him.

I realize too late that my eyes trailed down to his lips as the thought swirled through my mind.

They snap back up into his waiting gaze. Regret fills me - I'll chalk my bout of weakness up to the fact that I woke up only moments ago, but it still was stupid for me to look there and give him such an explicit indication of what I'm thinking - and I wonder if Finnick can read that emotion in my eyes.

A small smile pulls his lips upwards. "Caught you."

Fuck me. His voice is almost an octave lower than it normally is and, at the end of his sentence, it breaks and wobbles slightly. You know, I honestly didn't think that Finnick could get anymore attractive, but his intoxicatingly low morning voice just proved me wrong.

His lips come up more as his smile widens, revealing a few of his teeth. They aren't scarily bright white or yellowing but instead an almost cool shade of white that just makes me want to grab his chin and bring him forwards - to stop fighting every impulse in my body and actually kiss him.

Silence settles between us for a long time, both of us looking at each other. I don't want to break through whatever spell is keeping us hidden from the world in this bed, but the nagging in the back of my mind that this is the most dangerously idiotic thing I've done in a while starts to get progressively louder.

"I should go." My voice is lower too, riddled with disuse thanks to the morning, but even I can gather the feeble sounding resistance in it.

Finnick moves forwards a bit. Our noses brush together and, abruptly, I can start to feel his breath against my skin. It warms my lips enticingly - teasingly.

A few moments pass and then he speaks. "You should."

His voice is unconcerned as he hums out a response and his hand leaves my torso and moves upwards. It slithers up my body and rests on the curve of my jaw, cupping my face and ensuring that I don't turn away just yet; Finnick knows me well enough now to know that I turn and look away from him in moments like this.

I swallow.

His hand continues to move, gently tracing the bottom of my face. It does so for a few moments before moving up slightly and, before I can digest what he's trying to do, his eyes flick down to my lips and his thumb runs along them. "You're irresistible, Kai."

This whole morning has been a tease. He's stared at me, dissecting me with those perfect eyes that suck me down to the side of the sea, and he's touched me ever so gently, doing just enough where he knows I won't pull away and break this, this - whatever this is. His voice was hard for me to control myself at, but I did control myself - for his voice and his touch and every other silently attractive way that this man exists.