Chapter Eleven: Day Two

I wake up to the sound of someone moving in the cavern. My eyes try to jolt open quickly, but I force them to simply form slits.

I'd slept next to Alice near the back of the cavern. We found some sleeping bags and spread them out. Unlike her, I collapsed immediately; the pain was just too much for me. She was still awake when I did this and I bet that she didn't fall asleep easily; Jay was definitely on her mind.

I look at the moving person discreetly. They're - well - he's hovering over Alice, a dagger in his hand. It's James.

I narrowly avoid hitting Alice as I open my eyes quickly and grab James' arm, poised above Alice's heart. His eyes flick over to me instantly.

I shake my head wordlessly.

He opens his mouth to speak but I silence him with a nod to the still sleeping woman between us.

What the fuck is he thinking?

For the second time in this arena, I grab his wrist and pull him towards me, easily wrenching the knife from his grasp. It doesn't take much; his hands are around a fifth the size of mine.

He blinks twice at my quick disarmament of him before his eyes narrow. I'm already standing, wincing slightly, as he starts to struggle in my grip.

I release him and point to the door of the cavern.

James hesitates before walking towards it. I carefully step around Alice before limping over to the doorway and walking out of it.

There's a yawning guard: Nadine - the girl from District Two. She straightens up as I walk out. "Yo-"

I head straight over to her and plunge the knife into her chest. I slam my other hand over her throat tightly, forcing her to stay quiet. Nadine's eyes meet mine in shock before she looks past me, her eyes clouding over.

I set her body down onto the ground where she was standing and quickly step back, looking down. Thank god.

There's no blood on my clothes.

I look back to James. He opens his mouth but I limp over to him, still in my voice as I whisper very calmly yet fiercely. "You don't go around killing the top one first. If you're going to betray someone, do it right."

Something flashes across his face. "You're going to-"

"James!" I raise my voice instantly, forcing it to crack in anger just as a cannon sounds from above us. "What the fuck did you just do?"

"No-" He starts to push me backwards.

"Say it was an intruder." I grab his collar and turn, slamming him roughly into the wall of the outside of the cornucopia. My voice rises and I infuse it with anger. "I trusted you! And you go and kill-"

James blinks in shock at my sudden action. I see his eyes flick past me and once to the now still body behind us. Then, he starts to struggle. "I didn't do this! You don't hear the footst-"

I feel someone grabs my arms and pull me back from him. I resist although only partly, not wanting to really kill James. "Kai! What ar-"

"I come out here because I hear some movement and Nadine's got a dagger in her neck!" I narrow my eyes and make another sudden lunge towards James, who scampers out of my reach. "You bastard! I trusted you!"

I see a brief flash of fear cross his face. "I did-"

"Nadine?" I hear a man's shocked voice behind me and slacken immediately in who I assume to be Alice's grip. I turn to see Nadine's District partner crouch instantly next to the fallen girl. "No, no, no. Nadine?"