PROLOGUE:

Delilah Gilmore stands in a corner store, pulling out a five spot to give a woman the cash for her soda when someone walks up behind her, startling her slightly. Of course, she's used to people coming and going in the shop, since she's been working there since she was fourteen, but it's strange nonetheless to find someone behind her. When she turns, though, she understands what's going on. It's her uncle, once again coming to get her. Today is her birthday, after all, so it certainly makes sense.

"Hey, kiddo." He greets her, kissing her forehead in their normal greeting. The woman in front of her gives him a flirty smile, but neither notice as Delilah hands her her money and strips off her apron. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks, Ty." She says, shouting to her coworker that she's leaving and grabbing his arm, pulling him out into the street. Waltham is an amazing city, in her humble opinion, but even so, her life has always been missing something. For as long as she can remember, Ty has been around, but there was always someone else there too, until she turned eight. Her mother.

"So, I have something to tell you." He tells her as they walk along the sidewalk towards her favorite store, the place they've gone for her birthday every year. And for Christmas and congratulations, even thanksgiving.

The Lone Star Record Shop.

"Yeah?"

"Yep. And I'm not sure you're gonna like it, but it's gotta happen."

"Spit it out, Ty. But we are never going to an entomology conference again. I had nightmares for weeks about cockroaches nibbling on my toes." She says, watching as he pulls out a cigarette. It's something he only does when he's nervous, which means this must be big. Delilah's fingers twitch unconsciously as she waits for him to say something.

"We're moving to Stars Hollow."

"Where is that?" She questions immediately as the shock begins to sink in.

"Connecticut."

"That's where my mom lives, right?" She asks quietly. Ty chuckles, knowing she'd get the point quickly.

"Yeah, yeah it is. And your grandparents too. It's time for you to meet them, Lilah."

"I don't know, Ty. She sent me away for a reason, what if she doesn't want to see me? Or if she forgot about me?"

"Your mother could never forget about you, Lil. And it's time for you to meet her. You'll be going off to Yale in a few years and you should know your family when you do. It'll be great, hun."

"I know my family, Ty, he raised me."

"Yeah, I did, and it's been amazing and I love you so much, but I have your best interest in mind here, Lil. You need to meet your mother."

"When do we leave?" She asks after a moment of thought, glancing down at her hands nervously as a wave of anxiety rushes over her, but she pushes it down. The pair walk into their favorite shop together, though this time, she knows it may be the last time.

"This summer. Now go, pick something out." Tyler says, shooing his niece off to look at records. If there's one thing Delilah loves more than anything else, it's music.

So, she goes and she picks out an album.