CHAPTER 7:

"'Why do you like thunderstorms?''Because it shows that even nature needs to scream sometimes'" - E.D.

Carrying her P.S.A.T scores to Luke's, Delilah can't help but be excited to show them to the boy. After all, he'd been the one waiting for her on the bench outside while she took them, and the one she'd ranted to after about how terrible she thought she'd done.

But, she didn't do terribly at all. In fact, unknowingly, Delilah did better than her sister. And that is a feat in and of itself.

---

Christmas has always been Delilah's favorite time of year. For days on end, she'd think about how amazing it would be to wake up with presents under a christmas tree. But first things first, she has to put up the Christmas three.

This is what the Masonis-Gilmore family tradition is. The day before christmas eve, only days after the dinner at her mother's Inn, Delilah pulls out boxes and boxes of christmas decorations from the attic.

So, when Ty comes down that morning for a cup of coffee, he finds his niece in a ring of christmas lights and ornaments and little figurines. This is the time of year Ty lets himself forget. Forget that Delilah isn't really his daughter.

"Well good morning, sunshine."

"Good morning." She says, her smile clear in her voice as he pours himself a cup of coffee. "It's Christmas tree day." She says excitedly, straightening out her reindeer pajamas and placing her empty mug in the sink.

"Luke's on the way?" He asks, pulling on his boots over his socks, which have holes in them. Neither one changes out of their pajamas, as has been the tradition for years. Since she was a little girl, at least.

The pair make it to the diner within minutes, both shivering slightly from the cold. Luke's eyes widen at the sight, looking at them like they're insane.

"Did you two forget about something? You're gonna get sick." Jess questions, placing his jacket over the girl's shoulders.

"Nope. It's Christmas Tree day." She says happily, squeezing his hand.

"Oh yeah? Are we still on for tomorrow night?"

"Yep. Are you excited?"

"Of course I am." He tells her with a smile, laying a kiss on her forehead and making his way back upstairs into the attic.

"So... you and Jess?" Ty taunts with a grin. Delilah's cheeks heat up at the insinuation.

"No, no of course not... he's just... Jess."

"Yeah? Let me guess. More than your friend, less than your boyfriend."

"No, of course not. We're just friends."

"But you don't want to be just friends, do you, Delilah? I've known you forever, sweetheart, you can't lie to me." Ty says, sipping on his tea with a smile.

"I just-... I don't think I can do it, you know? He's... him and I'm just me. I don't know, I'm just the only interesting thing this town has to offer, apparently. That's all."

"You know, somehow, I don't believe that."

---

Jess had never seen such a sight in his life, walking into Delilah and Ty's house for the first time the next day. Artwork is framed on walls, photos in nearly every empty space. There's a little shelf of trophies on one wall, as well as what looks to be hundreds of polaroid photos.

And then there's Delilah, sitting on the couch and laughing as she looks through a box of DVDs. She's wearing pajamas again, though this time it's just snowflake pants and a tank top instead of a full shirt, since she's not going out.