CHAPTER 13:

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Kahlil Gibran

"We messed up Taylor's sign." Delilah groans as she and Ty make their way through town together. Thankfully, Christopher had left after the movie in the park and Lorelai had gone home after thorough convincing that she was alright.

"It'll be fine, you'll apologize and we'll get groceries. It's as easy as that." Ty tells her, dragging her towards the grocery store. Delilah can't help but glance down at the sidewalk where Jess's chalk-body had been. Of course, it's gone now, but part of her thinks she can see the faint outline still. She can't, though.

Delilah makes her way over to Taylor as Ty walks into the store, leaving her to apologize. "Hey... Taylor." She says awkwardly, making him turn to her. He lets out a small gasp when he sees her. "I just wanted to-."

"Oh no, just look at you, how are you feeling, Delilah?"

"I'm okay, listen, I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your sign. I'd be happy to pay for it."

"That's not necessary, are you in pain?"

"No, not much, just a little achy." She says simply, giving him a small smile.

"Well I hope you're not getting addicted to painkillers like those Hollywood people do."

"Uhm... I'm not, don't worry."

"Good, because pain is your body's way of saying 'I'm not okay now but I will be soon.'" Taylor says, walking off. Delilah follows him, not wanting to be rude as he checks on some of his outdoor vegetable stands.

"I'll remember that."

"You don't want to shut your body up too soon. That's called death."

"Yeah... right... I just wanted to say sorry about the sign, I know how important it was to you and I really am happy to pay for it, just let me know and I will-."

"Oh, well, it wasn't your fault."

"But... my car hit the bench, though."

"Your car hit the bench because that Jess boy was driving, and I'm just sorry he got you hurt. That boy is a walking natural disaster. You know, he was a very bad influence on you, Delilah, and I'm very glad he's gone, for your sake. Now you can go back to being like Rory, maybe join Chilton with her?"

She wants to tell him that she'll never be like Rory, but she doesn't. "Well it really was just an accident, it really could have happened to anyone. He didn't cause i-"

"You don't have to explain a thing to me, Delilah. I know that there's absolutely no way that you would be involved in something like that if it weren't for that Sal Mineo wannabe. I know I was hard on you in the beginning, but that was only because I wanted you and Jess to spend some time apart. That boy is bad news, especially for a young girl like yourself. Chachi and Chachi alone will be held responsible for that incident." He says. Delilah nods slightly, confused at what Taylor is rambling about. "Good, now take an apple."

"...Thanks..."

---

"Oh, Delilah!" Babette shouts at her across the town square, jogging over to her. Ty had gone back home already, leaving the girl to walk around aimlessly. She had planned to go to the bridge but decided against it, knowing it would only remind her of Jess, whom she's trying desperately not to think about at the moment.

Not that anyone in the town is helping on that front with all of the pathetic and pitying looks they give her.

"Delilah, sweetie, hold on there, baby!" She says, leaving Morey to stride over to her, sitting her down on a nearby bench.