CHAPTER 11:

"I was in the middle before I knew it had begun." - Jane Austen

"I got you something." Ty says as Delilah walks into the house that afternoon. Delilah is about to question the pale blue car sitting in the front yard when he grabs her arm, tugging her outside. "Ta-da."

"What?"

"The car! I got you a car!"

"Why?" She questions, though she can't help but smile at the sight of the beautiful car.

"Because you're nearly seventeen and you're working and going to school and you'll be off to college soon, I think it's time."

"Well thank you, Ty, I love it." She confirms with a bright smile, hugging him.

"I'm glad."

---

"Wanna come to the movie in the town square with me?" Delilah asks as she and Jess walk back to the diner from school, both a little bit lost in thought. Delilahs' excited to show Jess the car, which sits behind the diner at the moment.

"No.... come on, Lil, you can't possibly want to go do that."

"It's cute, come on, let's go to the movie! We'll eat popcorn, maybe terrorize Taylor?"

"I don't think so, Angel. You know I hate these sorts of things."

"I don't believe you. I fully believe that you're just a sweetie and you want to be a part of the town."

"You do not believe that."

"Yes, I do. Now come on." She says, grabbing his hand and dragging him around the back of the diner.

"If you wanted to be alone with me, Angel, you could have just asked. No need to take off my arm."

"Sorry, sorry, just... look at this." She says, spreading her arms to showcase the car.

"A Datsun?"

"Yep, Ty got it for me."

"Your Datsun?! You got a car?!" He asks excitedly, rushing forward to take a look at it. It's a rather old car, and the paint is chipping in some places. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it goes from destination to destination, which is all she really cares about. Jess lifts up the hood excitedly, looking over the engine. "It's beautiful."

"I know, I love it."

"I suppose... if you drive me to the movie, I'll go with you..." He says, turning and wrapping his arms around her.

---

"I need your help." Luke says as soon as Delilah opens the door. He offers her a box of brownies immediately, walking inside.

"Hey, Luke." Ty greets, not looking up from his book, making the man do a double take. Rumors have flown about Ty's strange superhuman senses, but he hadn't really gotten to see them in action before.

"Quit doing that! Babette thinks you're a wizard now." Delilah tells him, dropping the box of brownies on the table in front of him. He immediately digs into them, dropping his book and looking up at the man.

"How can we help you, Luke?"

"I remember Delilah saying she's an honors student and I was wondering if... she could tutor Jess?"

Delilah snorts, grabbing a brownie from the box.

"Jess and a tutor? I've never heard something so stupid, that boy is a genius."

"Yeah, well, he's flunking out of school at the moment, so I'm not sure I agree."

"Damnit, he said he was gonna do better." She says, rolling her eyes. "Sure, I'll sit with him and make him study, though I doubt I can actually teach him anything."