CHAPTER 12:

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my lids and all is born again. I think I made you up inside my head." - Sylvia Plath

To say the least, Christopher was not at all impressed to learn that his daughter had been in an accident.

He walks in around four in the morning, finding the girl curled up in her bed with Ty asleep in a chair beside her, Lorelai in one next to him. Delilah has a bandage on her head, clearly pristine and brand new and he can just see the bulge of another under her sleep top. She's managed to push her blankets down so they only cover up to her knees, so he walks over to her and lays them back over her, making sure she doesn't wake up as he pulls out another chair and lays back awkwardly, surprisingly falling asleep pretty quickly.

---

Lorelai wakes early the next morning from a nightmare, finding Christoper asleep beside her. She shakes him awake, pulling him out into the hall to talk to him. She'd called him late the night before after her argument with Luke but would have never expected him to actually show up.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" She asks softly as they walk towards the kitchen, Lorelai starting to make a pot of coffee.

"Uh, I have a really crappy mattress at home." He jokes.

"Chris?" She questions with a chuckle.

"I drove here as fast as I could and I went to the hospital but you guys had already left. I tried your cell phone and I got your voicemail but Luke was already up and told me where the house was and I'm ashamed to say I picked the lock to get in here."

Lorelai pulls him into a tight hug.

"And apparently my evil plan worked exactly as I anticipated."

"I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too. How's she doing?"

"She broke two ribs and they think she might have a concussion. And she dislocated her shoulder, but they fixed that pretty easily since nothing there was broken. The doctor said she'll be fine, they'll check in again at the end of the week then in another couple of weeks, then two months to make sure she's all healed up correctly. The car is totaled, though."

"Did you find that kid?"

"Jess?"

"Jess, Dead Meat, whatever his name is."

"No, the little ferrets' still hiding out somewhere, I'm sure."

"Okay, well, I'm gonna deal with the car tomorrow and I still wanna talk to the doctor, see if there's anything else we need to know. Oh, and I'm gonna need a picture of this Jess kid so I don't accidentally rip the head off the wrong kid, cause that would be bad."

"Look at you, springing into action."

"About time, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I like the superhero you."

"Just trying to keep up."

"So are you staying here tonight or do you have to rush back? I'm gonna stay for a few days, see if I can help Ty out some and Rory's gonna be by in a few hours, i'm sure. I told Babette to have her call me when she wakes up." Lorelai explains.

"No, I wanna spend some time with Delilah and Rory tomorrow."

"And Sherries' cool with that?"

"Rory and Lilah come first."

"Okay." Lorelai says, pouring herself a cup of coffee. "Do you want some?"

"Yeah, sure, sounds great. I'll get it." Chris says, standing up and grabbing a mug, letting the woman sit down at the table.