CHAPTER 17:

"She is a wild, tangled forest with temples and treasures concealed within." - John Mark Green. 

"I am never doing that again." Delilah says as she rushes into Luke's diner, pulling Jess into a tight hug. "Never, never never never never."

"How was your grandpa's birthday?" He asks with a chuckle, wrapping his arms around her tightly.

"She doesn't like my posture or my future ideas or your name or The Beatles!" She rants into his chest.

"Who doesn't?"

"Gran! My great grandmother. She showed up unannounced, called my gift for grandpa 'dreadful' and now she wants you to change your name."

"I'm not changing my name. Just... calm down, sweetheart."

"I am calm! I have never been so embarrassed in my entire life! And apparently, your name is James now. And being an author is just a hobby and I should be more like Rory!"

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." He says, laying a kiss on her forehead.

"Never again. Next time I say 'hey, i'm going to my grandparent's house tonight' stop me."

"I'm not going to stop you, darling. You should be getting to know them, I don't think this 'Gran' will be here forever."

---

"Are you sure you won't come with me?" Delilah questions for what feels like the one millionth time, making Jess roll his eyes.

"Yes, I'm sure. Just go have fun with your sister and I'll see you in a couple of hours. I'll drop you off at your mom's place, it'll be great." He says, laying a kiss to her forehead.

Rory Gilmore is in need of some serious cheering up, in her sister's opinion. She and Dean had broken up about a week ago and ever since, the girl has been devastated.

"Lilah!" Rory greets, rushing over to the pair, making her sister chuckle as she nearly takes her down onto the sidewalk with a tight hug.

"Hey Rory." Jess greets her with a small smile, turning back to his girlfriend with a small smile.

"Jess, nice to see you. Are you coming with us?"

"Nah, I'm gonna see you guys after though. I've gotta go help Luke at the diner." Jess walks off with a small smile playing over his face, knowing how much Delilah enjoys seeing her sister.

"So... how're things with you and Jess?" Rory asks, weaving her arm through Delilah's with a small smile and pulling her towards the town square.

"Great, but I'm starting to think we aren't as close as we were when we were just friends. Honestly, he used to tell me more when we weren't together. I think finding out he's my first real boyfriend really freaked him out." She explains.

"Well, have you talked to him about it?"

"Not yet, no. Ty mentioned it on Thanksgiving and I've been so busy ever since then with college applications and stuff. I was honestly hoping he'd forget about it."

"Have you ever seen Jess forget anything? At all? Didn't he basically memorize Howl?"

"I mean, yeah..."

"Just talk to him, Lilah. Now enough about Jess, snow cones?"

"Absolutely, and I wanna win a stuffed animal."

---

"How was it?" Jess asks, handing her an extra jacket he'd brought with him to pick her up, knowing she'd be cold.