Chapter 3

The Assembly was a testament to the Old Ways before the Pact was created. A peaceful gathering of the Clans that was a veil over what truly happened during the Assembly. Here, there was no bounds. A clash of all the higher-ups that ruled the supernatural world, gathering them all in one place no doubt will cause some form of bloodshed. Whether it be the decision to massacre an entire race or reform an extinguished Clan. There was no rules or laws, only respect for peace that held all of it together without it being a free-for-all.

An unnerving calm settled within me as I observed the large clearing the Assembly was set up in. There was no large table or thrones to proclaim status or power here. Just ourselves. That was all that was needed.

My chosen Guild members were fanned out behind me, Lucien standing right by my side as we faced the arriving Clans. The Murder came first, blurs of shadow emerging from the trees before settling off to the left in just a few seconds. I silently stared forward, ignoring the burning sensation of a certain pair of eyes gazing at me. I couldn't afford to look back at them right now. There was a much bigger fish here to fry.

The Pack came second, a dozen howling wolves bounding out from the forest. They split off to the right, snarling and snapping their jaws menacingly towards my Guild. I blink as one harsh bark cut them off, silence descending over the clearing once more. I knew exactly who that was, his scent floating over to me in the passing breeze. I disregarded the painful pang in my heart. Another thing I couldn't think about.

The Coven arrived last. They walked swiftly with a force to be reckoned with about thirty witches and casters. My vision tunneled as their leader strode proudly in front of them, her chin held high and her painted burgundy lips pursed in displeasure as her navy blue gaze landed on me. I took pleasure in how her stride faltered for a second and fear flickered through her eyes as my appearance registered.

In fifteen years, the woman who haunted my nightmares the most has changed. Taika Vadoma Compass-West was older now, the once stunning physical appearance she had prided herself in weakened with age. Streaks of grey tainted the fiery bronze of her hair, wrinkles lined her forehead and eyes from years of frowning, and her mouth had a natural downturn from most likely pursing her lips in the manner she was doing now. None of the gentleness and happiness I had known all those years ago was to be seen now as she stopped the Coven right in front of me about ten feet away.

Despite her aged appearance, Taika was still a beautiful woman. Her greyed bronze curls fell in waves down her back and her navy blue eyes held flecks of white that reminded you of waves cresting in a dark ocean. She stood at 5'5 with a soft, curvy figure and she wore kitten heels, dark grey slacks, and a navy blue blouse with a light grey cloak slung over her shoulders. Gold filigree trailed the edges of the cloak, announcing her position in the Coven and a circled star with outward facing crescents in either side was embroidered on the right side of her blouse. The personal mark of the West Coven.

"You."

A bitter smirk crawled across my lips before I could stop it as my sensitive hearing picked up her shocked whisper.

"Me." I answered loudly, making sure everyone could hear me.

Taika scowled, her eyes narrowing as her gaze flicked to the left in accusal. My world briefly stopped turning as Uriel appeared beside her, a cold neutral expression on his face as he looked blankly ahead. My heart pounded in my chest as Taika scowled at her son.

"You told me she was dead." Taika hissed.

Uriel shrugged, shoving his hands nonchalantly into the pockets of his black slacks. A loosely buttoned black dress shirt covered his more filled out chest, a red tie hanging around his neck haphazardly while his stuffy grey cloak with minimal gold filigree somewhat enhanced the messy but stunningly sexy look. Dark stubble covered the lower half his face and bags hung underneath his eyes while his fiery red hair flowed freely down just past his shoulders. He looked like one hot, sexy mess. What the fuck? No fucking way was I checking him out right now!? What Uriel and I could've had was in the past and I had Lucien now who was like the other half of my heart. No way was my past going to fuck up.