Chapter 6

"Um, Mistress Kage? Elder Yasmina would like to have a word with you." A timid soft voice broke through the fog of sleep, interrupting my only rare time of peace and quiet currently in my life. I groaned in exasperation, rolling onto my back to throw an arm over my eyes.

"What fucking time is it?" I grumbled.

Nervous shuffling initially answered me and I peeked out from beneath my arm to give the young woman an annoyed glare.

Topping at about 4'9, Julienne was a mousy little thing with a cute button nose, freckles, and bronze ringlets reaching to her shoulders. Her doe brown eyes were casted downward, her shoulders hunched in a defensive posture as if my harsh choice of words were a strike against her pale skin. Fucking hell, I was such an asshole. I always kept forgetting about how her previous living situation used to be.

I blew out a frustrated breath, sitting up slowly while I tried to school my features into a semblance of calm. Julienne still flinched at my movement, inching away from me before she caught herself with a panicked expression. Pity twanged in my empty chest and I was immediately hit with the urge to soothe her.

Fuck Yasmina for suddenly deciding that I needed a pseudo secretary to help me handle my affairs. Why the old bat decided that this scarred young girl was the best choice was beyond me, but I was willing to make this work. Even if it's only pity fueling that cause.

"Hey. Chill out. I'm not going to hurt you or anything. I just want to know the time." I said in I hope was a soothing tone.

Julienne bit her lip, bowing her head. My inner wolf growled at the unconscious show of submission, and I quickly muzzled her. No scaring the mouse. Otherwise I won't know what fucking time she got me up or what the fuck I had to do today. I'll admit, in the month that's she's been in my charge I've gotten lazy on keeping up with my schedule. Frankly, it was only Julienne and Yasmina who kept me going on fulfilling my leaderly duties to the Guild.

It's been six weeks since I've transferred the compound to my lands in NightShade. Since Sunniva's impromptu visit, there has been no contact from any of the Clans. No ambushes, no hostility from the locals, nothing. Nada, zippo, noooothinnng. Because of that, my depression consumed me. On most days I was a living, breathing zombie habitually going through the motions to get my Members settled in. Yasmina was constantly reminding me to eat, sleep, and in her words to "change my clothes because I smelled like something the cat dragged in". I was a wreck. A sight of carnage to behold as dragged my body throughout the mansion to check in on everyone. Not like I personally give a fuck. Let them stare. Sit on my middle finger and spin assholes.

"It's 7:30 a.m Mistress Kage."

I whipped my head towards Julienne, my mouth dropping open in utter horror.

"What the ever loving fuck!? Why am I awake!?" I exclaimed.

Julienne lurched back, doing her best impression of becoming one with the wall as her face took on a sickly pallor.

"E-Elder Yasmina has a-arranged a consult with a Healer this morning before you begin y-your daily rounds." Julienne stuttered. Her eyes were still trained towards my carpet, trembling like a leaf as my room began to reek with her fear.

I was too lost in my temper to acknowledge it, leaping out of bed like I had a hot poker poking my ass. I paced around the room, growling as tried to retain some form of calm. Damn that fucking Seer. I didn't need to see a godsdamn Healer. I was perfectly fine-albeit a bit underweight-but fucking fine. I ignored the tiny bump in my lower abdomen as I passed my vanity mirror. The implications of what that could mean too much for me to handle right now. The possibility of-nope. Nuh uh. Not fucking going there.