Chapter 8

I stared at my growing belly lump with a dread I couldn't explain.

I was six months along now and nothing has changed except my body. Julienne was still skittish as ever but she was growing on me like a patch of moss on a log. There was still no word from the Clans, Yasmina was still a pain in my ass even though she gives me a bit of the cold shoulder at times, and I was still a depressing, broken mess inside.

For the first time in a long time, I am at complete loss on what to do. There was no grand plan of the future sketched in my mind. No mouthy Luna to kick my ass into action, and no Lucien to hold me at night as I fell apart. Nothing. Just a swath of darkness every time I try to envision how I want to move forward.

The Guild was practically buzzing with excitement at my now apparent pregnancy, though there was a bittersweet taint to it that I fucking hated. Everyone had loved Lucien, inspired by his kindness and his natural ability to lead. Me, I was their mysterious silent Leader that only made her decisions behind closed doors. I barely went outside of my room to do rounds, choosing to do all the decision making from my bed. I don't need to fix peoples problems by meeting them face to face. There was nothing serious enough that required my presence. Only paperwork and money. Life was peaceful, teetering on the edge of what could happen in the foreseeable future and what it was. According to Yasmina, my Members thrived on that. It was the best life they could imagine outside of what they used to have. I took minute comfort in that. I like to think sometimes that Lucien would be proud.

"The thought of you bringing another abomination into the living realm disgusts me." Taika's venom-laced voice pierced through my inner ramblings.

I huffed out a weary breath, not bothering to turn and face her. Ever since Taika discovered my pregnancy last month she has been an ever present thorn in my side. Constantly bombarding me with negative comments about my son night and day. She rarely ventured out to where ever the fuck she goes nowadays, which filled me with never-ending annoyance. According to her, her new duties in death was to irritate the living shit out of me.

"So you've said about a million times." I muttered.

"If my son knew you've been impregnated with another spawn of Death, he would fry you alive." Taika informed me confidently.

I raised a brow in the mirror, smoothing a hand over my rounded belly. My fingers twitched as the move filled me with another round of icy dread.

"Yeah, because killing a pregnant woman would work wonders on his conscience." I retorted sarcastically.

Taika popped into existence in front of me, blocking the mirror with a haughty up-tilt of her chin. I wanted to smirk at her constant disheveled appearance, something that drove her nuts since she was used to looking immaculate, but I kept my blank mask in place.

"It's not a matter of conscience. It's a matter of practicality. Killing off the Necromancers is the best course of action in righting the Darkness that is besieging the living realm. You bringing in another generation of Necromancers is only leading this world to ruin." She stated dramatically.

I couldn't help it. I burst into shameless laughter.

"That...That must be the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" I roared, laughing my fucking head off to the point of hysteria.

Taika's transparent blood-stained features morphed into an affronted scowl. Her fists shoving into her hips in a stance that meant business. That made me laugh harder, if that was even possible.

"It isn't stupid!" She insisted. "The longer you exist the more Darkness spreads into this world. I have proof."

My laughter tapered off but I was still swallowing down a couple chuckles as I swiped a few tears from the corner of my eyes.