Chapter 5

I stared at myself in the mirror, blinking slowly as my brain sluggishly processed the image I was seeing.

Greasy, waist-length black hair tied up in a haphazard bun on top of my head. Hollow, bloodshot crimson eyes that held no sparkle. Pale skin looking on the verge of sickly, and a starved frame encased in an over-sized t-shirt that had long ago lost Lucian's scent, and ratty jogging pants. All in all, I was a fucking wreck and if Luna were still here she would be shrieking her head off like a banshee.

Since I was alone, I allowed myself to react at the thought of Luna. Wincing and rubbing my chest right above where my heart used to be. At the motion, my engagement ring slid dangerously on my bony finger. I paused, examining the glittering diamond band that had once been a promise of commitment to the man I had thought I would spend the rest of my life with. It was beautiful; a flat sterling silver band with an infinity symbol design that was formed by diamonds. A perfect choice that had relayed our feelings seamlessly. Lucian has chosen well.

I took a deep breath around the tight band that squeezed my chest. Dropping my hand limply to my side so that I wouldn't have to keep looking at the fucking ring.

I didn't come in here to keep reminiscing about the past or what I've lost. I came in here to pee and possibly take a fucking shower. That. Was. Fucking. It.
As Yasmina kept oh-so-helpfully reminding me behind the closed and locked door of my bedroom, today was the day I would have to put on my big girl panties and rejoin society.

It has been a little over a month since I lost Luna and Lucien. After we returned to the Guild I had immediately holed up in my room, and haven't bothered to come out ever since. To some, it may seem cowardly since I was now the Master of the only official Necromancers Guild on the planet, but I was surrounded by people who were intimately acquainted with the nuances of grief. Until last week, no one had dared to impose on my depression-filled solitude. According to Yasmina, for the first two weeks Members couldn't walk through my wing of the mansion without being bombarded with my emotional pain. Apparently I was making their lives suck, which was why I had to take a shower today and finish the fucking transportation spell that I never thought about until now. Despite my many curse-filled rantings about returning to NightShade, my vote was no longer solid enough to keep my people here.

I sighed, already weary as I stripped down and turned on the shower. I waited until the water was near scalding, fogging up the mirror, before I hopped in. An unconscious groan left my mouth as the hot water hit my skin, involuntarily relaxing my tensed muscles. I was a noddle in minutes, tilting my head back to feel the pressurized flow of pure bliss hit my face. Call me dramatic but this was the first shower I had had in a month. The last one had been to wash off Lucian's blood, and I sure as hell did not enjoy it.

After what felt like an eternity, I finally tackled the tangled monstrosity called my hair. It took about an eon to soothe and detangle the beast. By the time I was done, the water was beginning to cool and I was growling out expletives over the fact that I had to get out. Life fucking sucks.

Climbing out with the grace of a zombie, I snarled loudly when a knock at my bedroom door signaled that I was no longer alone. Wrapping myself in my favorite black silk robe, I took my motherfucking sweet time as my unwanted visitor kept knocking away. I was brushing out my hair at my vanity when my sensitive hearing picked up an annoyed sigh from behind the door.

"Master Kage. I would like to have a word with you before today's transportation spell." Yasmina's raspy voice formally asked.

"Not exactly in the best of moods, Yasmina." I replied. Understatement of the fucking year. I heard another sigh.