Chapter 1

The boys are doing better now. They still don't talk about you but they seem more stable than a couple of months ago. Rafe and Echo have taken over their respective Clans and they don't come around much anymore. Raul is basically Rafe's shadow now and Uriel still doesn't talk privately with his mother at least to my knowledge. Hope all is well with you, and hope to hear a response from you soon.

I frowned as I reread Sunniva's last text for about the zillionth time. Even after nearly two years since that text, I've yet to delete our one-sided conversation. Through the supernatural community grapevine, I knew Sunniva was still alive but I had no idea why she would break the promise she made to me so long ago. Maybe she finally gave up after never getting a response from me after seven years?

I sighed in frustration, that old regret bubbling in my stomach as I tossed my phone onto the nightstand beside my bed. My bedmate stirred at the harsh clatter, lifting his head up to blink at me sleepily.

"Looking at those secret texts of yours again?" He guessed quietly around a yawn.

I pursed my lips, not confirming nor denying my guilt as I reached over and lightly brushed a hand over his blond curls.

"Go back to sleep baby." I whispered to him.

A sleepy smile crawled over his plump lips, his sea-blue eyes half-mast as he gazed up at my still wide awake position.

"I could say the same to you, but I have a feeling you haven't slept yet." He whispered back.

I smirked, leaning down to kiss his temple.

"Never any rest for the wicked." I drawled sarcastically.

He hummed low in agreement, wrapping an arm around my waist to gently tug me down until I laid on my back. He snuggled his face into my shoulder, breathing out a soft sigh as he relaxed into my memory foam mattress. He seemed seconds away from passing back out when he spoke again.

"The Assembly is tomorrow. You need your rest." He murmured into my naked skin, making me shiver involuntarily.

My very active libido cooled however as his words brought back the original reason why I was still up at the buttcrack of dawn.

The Assembly. An event that gathered all the Clans in the country whenever a major event happened within the supernatural world, like, for example when a new Clan is asking for permission to be formally created.

It's been fifteen years since the extermination of the Necromancers Guilds from all across the world. Enough time for the supernatural population to calm and forget the atrocities that had occurred to an entire race of people. Enough time for them to bury their fear. However, now I'm terrified that I will be unearthing that fear for what I am about to do.

A cold sweat broke out over my skin as all the possibilities of what could go wrong tomorrow ran through my skull for the thousandth time. It destroyed the the notion of sleep. I did not want to go through those nightmares, thank you very fucking much.

His arm squeezed my waist as I tensed unconsciously, his warm smooth hand massaging my waist to comfort me. I barely felt the soft press of his lips on my shoulder, my mind too lost within the whirling chaos of my dark thoughts. He lifted his head at my lack of response, his eyes intensely aware as my brow furrowed automatically in annoyance as he interrupted the back-up planning I was currently concocting in my brain.

"Calm down Ana. This isn't going to go as bad as you think." He assured me confidently.

"Perhaps, but this could still go fucking bad." I argued. I hated how my tone revealed my inner terror, my emotional control on the fritz because of my lack of sleep.