Denial

CH. 17

Denial

After the talk about Levi, Erwin managed to stir the topic away to another one that's much more enlightening. He was, afterall, the one who started asking the brunette's opinion. The atmosphere did become dark for a little while but it got lighter as soon as the waiter came and gave them their desserts.

Though the topic managed to stirr, Hange's opinion on Levi's action made Erwin wonder if Edward ever felt guilty about his mother's death. As soon as the picture of Edward re-appeared on his mind, he focused himself back to the brunette who was exploding with excitement on every scoop of ice cream she took. Instantly his worry disappeared. Erwin smiled.

"Let me guess, this might be your favourite dish for tonight's dinner?" He asked.

"Mmmm~" The brunette hummed, closing her eyes, enjoying the sensation.

As soon as she opened her eyes, she found Erwin ice cream still whole.

"And if you're not gonna eat that, I will." She warned.

Erwin chuckled, finally taking a spoon of ice cream into his mouth. They enjoyed their dessert while talking over some trivial topics. After a while they finished their dessert, Erwin stood up to the cashier and paid for their dinner. Then the two walked back to the passenger lift and left the building.

Outside, everything was way darker than when they had dinner. The street lights decorated the nightly atmosphere of the capital city of Maria. It was also a lot more windy but the wind just created this nice, calming, soft atmosphere in the night rather than a chaotic one. People strolling through vendors, eating street foods, warming themselves in a cafe, or just shopping around the town.

"And now finally for the big reveal!" Hange started after inhaling the fresh air.

"Where are we going Erwin?~" The million dollar question asked.

"Before I answer that let me make sure of one thing.." Erwin started.

The blondie leaned a little to Hange.

"Did you have enough sleep last night?"

"Yes sir! Why?"

"Great. Because It's going to be a long night tonight."

Erwin bowed a little, offering her his hand as he did.

"Now, shall we?"

"Let's go!" And the two began walking.

Guided by Erwin, they walked alongside each other, hands clasped against one another. Hange face went a little red as they go, at first she didn't expect that the blondie was going to hold her hands for a long time. She tried to tell herself that the blondie did that so that she wouldn't get lost in the crowd or something but even so she did that, her face didn't stop blushing.

She didn't feel this way when Erwin did the same thing on their way to the restaurant half an hour ago. Maybe it was the idea of strolling through the night in the city just the two of them? Or was it because the nice calming wind that made her face warmer? Whatever it is, it was rather nice.

She held his hand in return, making the grip tighter between them. Erwin twitched.

The blondie cleared his throat as soon he felt her fingers tightened their grip. His face became a little red and suddenly he was wondering the same question as Hange a while ago.

A few walks after that, they reached the commuter station. They hopped into a train and went out three stops after. The station they arrived at had less people than the one they departed from. Rather than going to the same station, it seems a lot of people took the train that was assigned away from that prefecture, only few who decided to go to the same station as them.