12. Smokes of Bitterness

-Some polluted waves are deeply inhaled-

Eliyas 

Sitting sideways on his bike, Eliyas inhaled the warm, polluted and smoke-mixed air that hovered like a cloud above the Labourer's society. This place was a shameful secret, subtly denied by Hill Land. In a highly advanced city, the smudge-covered hands and the scent of poverty were seen as a sign of disgrace. 

Only the rich and powerful survived. 

Sporting a half-smile and resting one foot on the seat, with his elbow resting on his knee, Eliyas kept gazing at one dirty building that stood tall in the midst of all misery and malnourishment. Sila lived in that building. The fall of a queen...he had snatched her from jewels and forced her to  It was a sweet victory. Yet, there had been a sense of nostalgia.

He belonged to the streets.

One can deny, but the truth is always there...persistent; this was his reality, his home. 

The smell of baked mud, sweat...the cries of starved children were almost comforting. This is what he had traded away; his truth. He wasn't ashamed. It was the survival of the fittest. To watch the rich hover above, with an arrogant gleam, he had simply snatched a few gleams. 

He had hovered beneath someone else's spotlight.

"Why are you sitting here?" An old man suddenly walked up to him with a judgemental look.

People on this side of the streets had to be cautious. 

Any random person could be a threat.

"I came to meet my wife." A subtle smirk filled with mischief appeared on Eliyas's face, as he momentarily looked up at the window that probably led to Sila's room. 

He seemed like an admirer standing beneath his damsel's window. 

How romantic! 

The thought made him chuckle. 

Turning to look at the man again, he was surprised to now see a soft look on the old man's face. 

"It has been tough, hasn't it? This recession...I know you are telling the truth. I can see love in your eyes for that woman. It must be tough letting her live here. Where do you work?"

"Just a place..." He scratched the nape of his neck, averting his gaze while downplaying what he did. 

He was only being civil right now because he respected everyone truly belonging to this side of the streets. They all seemed to be fighting the same battles.

"My son also has to stay away from us while he earns. His wife and son miss him so much. Yet, that is the price one has to pay if one wants to eat a day's meal. Just make sure you take care of your wife; perhaps, come to visit her in the daytime." The man gave a wrinkled smile.

Eliyas could only watch with a slightly amused look.

Seemingly content with his words of wisdom, the man then began walking away...towards some open  brown fields. 

Love his wife...indeed.

Eyeing some young men randomly standing a few feet away from him, laughing and boasting about some race, Eliyas found a smile appear on his face.

He looked up at Sila's room window and back at the group of rowdy men. Money, it gave voice, it became handy when one wanted to send a message. 

With a small smile, Eliyas began walking towards the men.

Those poor souls who had associated the feeling of love with him...

He shook his head at such level of naivety.