21. Jolt Me

-Epiphany is not always a welcomed experienced-

Eliyas

Something domestic started happening...

For the first time in his life, Eliyas found himself living a city boy's life. It was always settling and relaxing to get a routine. 

He would spend his days in his office, attending meetings with skyscrapers peering through windows and returning home to find Sila playing the role of a seasoned wife. 

It was clear she wanted distraction and stability.

She would wear washed clothes, arms folded and looking desperate for normalcy.

She had morphed into an obedient kitchen wife quipped with knives and an apron. 

It was a change.

To have substance to return back to felt like a change.

She had accepted his offer. 

He would throw his briefcase on the couch, and wash his face and hands, while she would simply serve food and settle down to eat.

Dining together built a routine.

He knew this was needed. 

He had spent most of his life busy dealing on the streets and scooping prey for easy money. It was nice living the life of a white-collar job man with a wife and a child.

Normalcy took away suspicion and gained defence.

The clocking of even hours, the screech of silver against plates and the sweat of the day formed on foreheads, it was normal.

Every day, after dealing with exhaustion and long hours behind his laptop, he would return back and settle down on one of the chairs in his kitchen. She would sit before him, on the opposite side of the kitchen island.

Nabeel would be placed in his baby chair.

The heat emitting from the stove, the homecooked food and the comforting silence would do so much. So much...that he had actually started looking forward to returning back to his apartment after work

She won't say much.

She hardly reacted, but it seemed like she also was tired of their bickering encounters. Fighting regularly had drained her. 

Tears and gloom had exhausted her, and she looked like she wanted to fill her brain up with some work.

It was good.

He was relieved that she had chosen to comply instead of just being a tiring duty.

He needed to relax.

Sitting on his chair, he was in a good mood as he sliced pieces of his steak. She was looking down and eating chicken salad, both arms on the kitchen island.

Both of them were keeping quiet.

Nabeel had fallen asleep on the way back home, so he was napping in his newly-bought cot.

A good mood equalled a mood to talk.

"This steak is delicious. Your cooking skills are quite impressive. I never knew that," he chuckled in amusement, relaxing back in her seat.

She didn't respond, simply shifting pieces of lettuce around with her fork.

His smile immediately turned into a bored frown.

Sighing, he began chewing on the juicy meat while resting his chin on the palm of his left hand and staring at the show before him.

He quirked an eyebrow at the sight of her mousy ways.