𝑵𝒐 𝑳𝒂𝒅𝒚

I scrub my body with the sponge as I shake. The water is considerably cold but it is my fear that racks my body. I escape the shower as soon as I can and rid myself of the water. My dark waves have turned almost black in the water and I run a comb through them. I examine myself in the mirror after changing into a black silk button-up with matching shorts. And before you ask, yes almost everything I own is black or white. What can I say, it fits the aesthetic.

I am just pulling back my covers when I freeze. I sense her presence before she steps into the open balcony doors. Brekker's Wraith stands there with the moon causing her silhouette to shimmer.

"Ah, the infamous Wraith." I slip a long dagger from beneath my pillow and hold it defensively behind my back. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Ah and I thought we were friends, Emris." Inej smiles.

"We are but I don't trust your boss not to give you a special assignment. And I don't trust you to choose me over him."

"Put the knife down. I'm not here to hurt you." Inej says with her hands up.

"Then what is it you want?" I flash a confident grin. "These aren't my usual office hours."

"Kaz wants you down at the Crow Club tonight."

"Why?" I ask, still holding my knife.

"I thought you knew everything?" Inej slips from the balcony and I glare after her.

I quickly change into tight black pants and a black fitted top with the look of a corset. I finish it with a nice blazer cinched around my waist. It is safer to travel by roof at night in the barrel. I tie my hair back in a braid before heading out to the balcony. The good thing about custom clothing is you can choose to be able to move in them.

I climb from the balcony to the roof of the granjetier, my hotel/bar/home. I break into a sprint over the roof as I vault over the few buildings between my Granjetier and The Slat. I find Kaz's room, well the attic, and slip through the window. I look around before deciding he is not here and must be in the foyer. I travel through the attic and find the stairs. I fly down three other floors before finally reaching the foyer.

Loud groups of drunken members of the Dregs party and sing to their heart's content. I find Jesper, one of Kaz's friends, at a card table and tap him on the shoulder. He jumps and pulls his guns out. I push the pistols away and stare him down.

"Oh, Blade. Glad you could make it." Jesper flashes a flirty grin. "Should have known. You wouldn't be using the front door."

"Yes, it's not very safe for a lady in the streets."

"Well your no lady, Blade."

"Awe, I'm touched," I smirk and place a hand over my heart. He laughs and finally leads me to Kaz.

"Blade, Jesper, come join us. We were just discussing the plans to a very key part of this operation. Unless either of you knows the Ice Court like the back of your hands." Kaz angrily said.

"Get your panties out of a bunch, Bastard." I grin.

"Just sit down." I sit in one of the chairs and lean back with my leg folded over the other.

I blow Kaz a kiss which he ignores and begins speaking. He tells us that we will be breaking into the hell gate to free Mattias Helvar, Nina's lover boy. We will get there by boat and get him out.

"There's a lot of grey area there, Brekker," I say raising a hand. "And why am I here?" I lean on the circular table with my elbows.

"Because you're The Blade," Kaz says. "You know practically everything about everyone in the barrel and can handle a knife as well as your deals."

"If my ears are working correctly," I make a show of picking my ears clean. " you just complimented me, Brekker."

"Accept it and move on Blade."

"I agree with, Blade," Jesper says.

"Finally, someone with a brain,"

"We should know more about what we're doing." Jesper continues.

"I will inform you more one on one in the next 24 hours," Kaz says with a smirk. I roll my eyes and sit back in my seat.

"I still don't get why I'm here," I say with a huff. "I'm an information broker, Brekker. I don't necessarily have a place in the field."

"You have studied Hellgate, yes?" I confirm Kaz's comment with a nod. "so you can help us get through the prison still breathing."

"Fine, is this meeting over?" I ask with a yawn. "I need to sleep before a heist. We're not all workaholics, Brekker." I push myself up and place a hand on my hip.

"Everyone is dismissed. Go home and go to sleep. We need everyone as rested up as possible." Kaz dismisses us with a frustrated wave.

"You're paying me for this, or you owe me," I say in a sing-song voice as I turn to leave.

I smile and walk out the front door this time. Light rain has begun washing the barrel. I smile and look up to the clouded sky. Off in the distance, the midnight moon gleams happily. I smile and listen to my shadow walk almost soundlessly behind me.

"What is it, Inej?" I ask with a smirk as she comes bounding up behind me.

"Kaz wanted me to tell you your real job." I stop and pull her into an empty alley. "He wants you to prepare some sort of drug to keep Mattias from killing us but sober enough to walk."

"So he wants me to make a drug in less than 24 hours for him to use on Helvar," I say in a sarcastic tone. I earn a grin. "I already have something like that. No one on your team is sensitive to needles are they?"

"Probably only the one going to be stuck with it," Inej says with a laugh. I nod before walking back home.

When I return home the guards at the door step aside with light smiles. I pass them expressionless and go upstairs. I barely replace my clothes before I fall into the bed. I'm not that naive to not lock my doors, especially after walking out of a meeting in the crow club. Sleep greets me with nightmares of water and rope.

Word Count: 1105

AN

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always Please Vote and comment.