𝑵𝒐 𝑭𝒖𝒏𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒍𝒔

Kaz POV

My hands roam over the documents at my desk. A headache rips through my temples as I attempt to read. The words begin to blend and I slam my hands on the desk.

"Kaz?" I whip my head around.

Emris stands at the window. A light cut grazes her throat and her hands are covered in blood. I look to her waist, which she holds. It is covered in slick hot blood. I look up at her face. Her eyes are drooping. Her legs seem to give out and my body reacts before I think.

The bodies grab at my limbs as I cradle her. The cold harbor water threatens to drown me. I brush a price of hair out of her face.

"Emris?" Her eyes flutter shut and I drop her. I stand and stomp on the floor where I know Nina will be sleeping. "Nina!" I yell.

I continue to rap against the floor until Nina and Inej run in. I direct them to the window where Emris is laying in a pool of her blood. Inej lays Emris's head in her lap and begins to detangle the blood-crusted locks, tears streaming down her face. Nina kneels by her side and moves her hands over her body.

I gape at Emris's slack face. Her usual taught brows are relaxed. Her lips barely part and her eyelashes kiss her cheeks.

"Her hearts stopped," Nina says. Terror stabs my heart.

Emris, the vibrant, irritating, hypocritical Blade. Her piercing honey gold eyes pain my memory as I look back to when I took a shot with her. Her laugh had been so pure and alive. If I could bottle the sound I'm sure I would get drunk off it every night and waking moment. 

"No." I kneel next to her and lace my fingers together. I slam my hands down on her chest. "Inej." I know I can not breathe air into her lungs without breaking down.

Inej breathes a few breaths of air into her lungs and I begin compressions again. "Come on. Don't die on me, Emris." Jordie's face comes to mind. Great I'll have another ghost. I chase away the bodies and the water with Emris. I focus on my hands, I don't have my gloves. Panic fills my chest. When I realize she only has a thin blouse on. I take my pain out on Emris's chest. Forcing the blood to pump through her veins with each push. After a few minutes, Nina directs me to stop.

"Kaz, stop."

"No, she's not dying."

"No, Kaz. She's not, she's breathing." My heart leaps and I look at Emris. Her pale face is flushed with blood. I hide my relief.

"Good. We need her for this to work." I force myself to stand and walk to my room, my hands running through my hair. I reach the water basin and cup the water in my hands. I splash the cool liquid over my face and take a deep breath. I can't do this. My Mind goes to Emris's smile. Not without her. I debate slapping myself as my thoughts run rapidly.

"Hey, you okay?" Inej stands behind me in the mirror.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I lie between my teeth.

"I don't know." She watches me run the water through my hair. "Because Emris just died and came back to life." Empathy fills her eyes. "And you had to touch her to do it."

"I'm fine," I say sternly. "Go see your friend. Tell Nina to wake her up when she's stopped the bleeding. We need to find who did this." Inej nods and leaves. I heave a sigh and run my hands through my hair again, desperately to get the stench of blood and bodies from my mind.

Nina POV

I focus on Emris. Her heart has stopped beating and I frantically feel into her chest for her heart. I feel her heart, cold, dead. After a minute of trying to start it, I stop. I hang my head low and Kaz pushes past me and begins pounding on her chest.

His eyes are wild. His pupils have gone large and his heart beats an unsteady rhythm. I look up at Inej who cradles Emris's head with care. Her lips move quickly and I know she prays.

I look back down to Emris, her chest light rises and falls between Kaz's compressions.

"Kaz. Kaz stop." I order. He grumbles something. "She's not dead. She's breathing, Kaz."

His head snaps to Emris's face. His shoulders relax and I hear his heart flutter a new rhythm, slow and uneven. He releases a breath and abruptly stands. He stands and slams the door to his room. I send Inej after him and I begin to work on Emris's side wound.

They leave me with questions and a walking zombie.

Word Count: 813

AN

!!Little does Nina know she can summon Zombies!! In the future of course. :) Hopy you're enjoying so far and please keep voting and commenting random thoughts and reactions.