𝑮𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒔

My eyes flutter open. Blankets bundle between my legs and light blinds me. I sit up slightly and see a dozing Nina to my left. To my right, an unconscious Inej sleeps. I take a deep breath before swinging my legs over the side of the table. It burns.

"Hey, no. Lay back down." Nina orders. She pushes me back down.

"I will not be bedridden over minor injuries, Nina," I argue.

"Y'a Because a bullet wound and a knife wound are 'minor injuries'." Nina counters with air quotes.

"When you live in the barrel, they're quite common."

"Are those what all those scars are, on your torso and legs?" I look at her. She looks sorry she said anything.

"No those are from the rope," I say blankly.

"Is that why you didn't want that cloth in your mouth?" 

"Yes. If you look closely, I have a line around my mouth. The gag they used nearly cut off circulation." She looks closely and looks concerned.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to intrude."

"Speaking is a voluntary action, Nina. Even when someone has a knife to your throat." I say disappointed in myself. "I'm guessing it was Pekka's gang that sabotaged us?" Nina looks down. That's all the confirmation I need.

"It wasn't your fault, you know," Nina says, kindly.

"Thanks anyway, Nina."

"Is there anything I can get you, sleep, water, food?

"A big bottle of kvas?" Nina laughs.

"Sorry, doctors orders. No alcohol till you get better.

"You're a tailor too right?" Nina nods. "So can you patch me up and then I can go drink?"

"Your body still needs to heal naturally."

"Please, Nina. I can't be trapped down here."

"Fine." I lay back as Nina removes my bandages. I feel a slight prickling sensation as the skin is being fused. "No training for a week."

"That's almost the whole trip, Nina." I protest. "I need to be in the best shape I can if I'm going to help."

"Fine daily check-ins with me and we'll talk about training when you get better. One drink a day." I huff.

"Any more impossible requests?" I ask.

"Demands, and no, you're free to go. Just try to stay off your feet for a little while."

"Thanks, Nina," I say before taking off to the upper decks.

I breathe in the salty air and panic strikes. My gut ties in knots and nausea kicks in. I run to the side of the boat and hurl. My leg is sore and bruised. It is only when I see everyone staring that I realize my state. My clothes are still covered in blood and no one bothered to clean my hands. I walk over to the group.

"A little seasick are we?" Kaz asks, clearing his throat.

"A bit," I say, looking at Wylan's drawing. "Is that the Ice Court?" I ask no one in particular.

"Yes," Wylan says. "Go on Matthias."

Matthias starts explaining the layout to Wylan. I feel a rap on my shoulder. I turn to see Kaz looking me up and down with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm going to kill Nina, by the way," I whisper as I walk away. Kaz follows me down to the bunks. I find a room with my name on it and enter. Kaz follows closely behind.

"Is it because she let you out covered in blood, or that she banned drinking privileges?"

"Both. And how do you about the privileges anyway?"  I stare him down.

"I told her not to let you drink."

"Oh come on, Kaz. I'm more fun when I'm drunk." I complain. "It's none of your business anyway. You have your gloves and I have my kvas."

I scrub my hands in the wash bin. After a few long minutes of scrubbing Kaz grabs my wrist. I look up at him, quizzically.

"The blood is off, Emris."

"No, it's not. It's stained my hands." I say, going back to scrubbing.

"Emris, it's gone." My chest begins to shake with each breath. I clear my throat and assure him it's still there. "You're going to scrub your hands clean of skin."

"Good. Then I can have an excuse to wear gloves as you do." I throw the sponge down and opt for scratching instead. "It's not coming off." My cheeks are streaked with tears.

Kaz pulls my hands from each other. I can't help but stare at his bare hands. Pale long fingers work diligently. He places his gloves over my hands.

"There. Now if you scratch you won't bleed." I can't force myself to look up at him.

It's almost as if being on this ship has stripped me of my amour. My venerability makes me weak, and now Kaz sees it.

I grab the sponge and move to my face. After a few minutes of scrubbing my face is pink and irritated. I cup my hands and move to my hair the water slowly turns pink with all the blood in it. I scrub my scalp raw and all the while Kaz sits there and watches me. 

"You can go back to your meeting now," I say, irritated.

"I'm staying to make sure you didn't nab any of my kvas." I give Kaz a look and roll my eyes.

"Well if you want to watch me change and wash my wounds, feel free."

He turns around and I strip myself of my pants and rub the skin until my blood is gone. I throw out the shirt and pants before scrubbing my waist and getting a shirt.

"I see, you took clothes from my closet." I examine all the black, green, and white nightwear and suits.

"No, I just had Inej go shopping in your closet." He chuckles. "Thought you might want a little piece of home."

"You can turn around now." I am dressed in a white silk nightshirt with matching bottoms. "I'm going to bed now," I say, wishing he would leave.

"Sleep, you just woke up." Kaz inquires.

"I woke up from a coma. Plus I want to be unconscious the most of the ride to Fyerda whether that be drunk or asleep."

"Goodnight, Emris." Kaz bids me goodbye and I go to sleep, still wearing his leather gloves. The inside is warm and soft.

Word Count: 1050