𝑮𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝑴𝒆

"Good evening, Pekka Rollins."

"I hear you are working with the crows, Blade."

"You hear correctly," I confirm.

"And I assume Brekker has paid you for your services." Rollins grins.

"What do you want, Rollins?"

"What is your job here in Ketterdam?"

"I'm an information broker, Mr.Rollins," I say holding my dagger tightly.

"And do you have information for me?"

"What information do you require?" I say, tired of this game.

"I want to know what Brekker is planning."

"Well, that would be breaking my customer confidentiality policy, Rollins."

"Oh but that doesn't apply to Brekker?"

"Only my favorites," I say with a smile. "Unfortunately you are not on that list."

"Well unfortunately I have guards stationed at every window, every exit of this building." Fear claws at my stomach.

"Then I'll go out fighting."

"Or you can give me one simple piece of information and I will walk out of here with no blood on my hands." He leans forward. "And you will be five thousand kruge richer."

So do or die. I sigh. "What information are you seeking?" I ask, grinding my teeth together.

"Where is Brekker going and when does he leave." The ice court. In a month.

"Ravka. In a week."

"You are a horrible liar. I thought this would be easier." He flicks his hand and a cold blade is held against my throat. I gasp in pain as the person presses it deeper into my skin. "Now I will only ask you one more time before I have this man slit your throat. Where is Brekker going and when does he leave." The blade is pressed deeper and slowly dragged across my skin.

"Fyerda." I gasp as the knife is pressed deeper.

"When?" Rollins asks, leaning forward on my desk.

"This is my damn house!" I yell. A second knife is pressed into my side.

"When?"

"After this, we are done with business." The knife at my side presses deeper. "I will gouge your eyes out and shove them down your throat." The knife at my side is plunged between my ribs and I gasp.

It feels like fire in my side. My body burns as the blade twists. A strangled gasp escapes my throat and I brace myself against the chair behind me. My breathing shallows and I feel Pekka Rollins take my chin. The blurred outlines of his face clear slightly as he leans close enough that I can feel his hot breath flutter my eyelashes.

"As entertaining as that sounds, all I want is my information."

"Three weeks." I gasp. The knives are taken away from my skin and I apply pressure to my side with a hand.

"For that prick." Rollins tosses me a handkerchief.

"I'll tear your empire down from the base and make you watch as it burns," I say, gasping over my desk.

"Looking forward to it my dear." He stands and walks to the doorway. "Oh, and I can assure you this will not be our last business deal. Considering you don't bleed to death this time." Rollins and his bitch walk out the door and leave me to bleed.

After I know they have left I stumble to my bedroom. The guard usually posted there has been killed. I stumble over his body and walk to my bathroom. I glance in the mirror as I remove the layers of my suit.

The wound is bleeding profusely. I wince as I peel my blouse away from the soaked skin. I gasp as the wound looks deep. I rummage through my drawers and find a needle and thread. My vision fogged and the world spins. I look to the balcony and see Kaz watching me. The warm sticky liquid seems to glow on my hands. I am breathing raggedly. I look to Kaz and see him walking away. My hand releases the needle.

"Wait, Kaz." I plead. I follow him out to the balcony.

I climb the ladder after him. My side burns with the movement. I cry out as I pull myself up. I stumble on the rooftop. I look to the street below. The drunks stumble along the road singing songs. I gasp and watch as Kaz crosses each rooftop with ease. His cane is gone and his gait is even and perfect. My foot catches on a roof pallet and I fall. My hands barely catch me. My side burns and I clutch it in agony. Cold hands touch my face and I begin to cry in pain.

"Come on, keep moving." I look up and see a strange man with greying brown curls and a white beard. Da? My eyes widen in shock. I reach for him but he backs away.

"Da?" I ask, sobs threatening to spill.

"Come on, my little flower. You need to move."

He takes my hand in his and pulls me after a waiting Kaz. I blink back tears as my legs threaten to give out. Kaz looks at me and smiles. Kaz faces me and Da. Da lays my hand in Kaz's ungloved hand. I gape at the exchange as Kaz takes my hand and leads me to the edge. I gaze out at the polluted city. My city. Kaz releases my hand and climbs into his open window. I follow in pain. My vision of Kaz melts with another Kaz leaning over his desk.

"Kaz?" I ask in a small voice. Kaz's head whips around as he takes in my condition. My legs give out and I faint on the floor. The last thing I hear is Kaz.

"Emris?" As I drift off into the darkness.

Word Count: 942