04

Memories kept people alive.

Or rather it kept her soul busy and content in the new world that was now her home. She got thought of quite often and it allowed her a little wormhole view of the world she used to inhabit; of the world she left behind and missed dearly.

What surprised her the most was how often Damon thought of her.

But she supposed she shouldn't have been. He was, after all, her very lonely friend who tried to act like he was okay with that. But her ghostly presence was there trying to remind him that he wasn't alone.

She really, really tried.

She saw Damon once more after the funeral. He was pouring a glass of alcohol when her dark world gained a bit of color.

She knew he was thinking about her based off the way he was kind of still and his eyes were a bit glossy. She moved towards him and her foot caught on the edge of a chair making it scrape across the floor.

She paused as his head snapped towards the sound. His eyebrows furrowed and his eyes became guarded and curious as they looked around.

Suddenly she was thrown into darkness once again as Stefan entered the room and she was removed from his thoughts. But an idea entered her head for the next time someone thought of her.

She wasn't sure how long time passed as she waited in the shadowy Salvatore Boarding House. But her blue-eyed friend thought of her again and she could see the world of the living again.

She quickly put her plan into action and ran (or sort of floated a bit) towards the desk. She picked up a pen and started writing on the first sheet of paper she found.

It's me, Jenny. I'm here.

Those were her words and she held the paper up in the air with a bright smile. He would have to notice a piece of paper floating in the air.

And he did.

He walked over cautiously and she let the paper go as he grabbed it. She was shaking from anticipation.

"It's me, Damon," she spoke with teary eyes as she watched his eyes scan the page.

"Weird," he said and let the paper drop to the desk as he scanned the windows before walking away.

"No, no," she uttered and she grabbed the paper again. The side facing her was blank so she flipped it over to find it...blank.

"What? No, that's not possible."

She grabbed the pen and started to write again furiously but as she wrote her letters faded away just as quickly. A sob tore from her lips as the living world she was allowed to view began to flicker.

Knowing that writing was apparently useless, she turned and appeared by her friend.

"Damon," she cried and reached out for him. "I'm right here. Please, know I'm here."

But her hand went right through him before her world delved back into shadows where her cries echoed around her. Her legs gave out beneath her and she continued to sob on the ground knowing that she was forever alone and no one would ever know.

She never felt more lost.

She wasn't sure how long ago that was. But she was more tired than ever even though she could never sleep and she felt utterly hopeless. That was a new feeling for her, to just give up, but there was nothing for her to do except watch the world go on without her.

She had tried multiple other times to make her presence known but everything she did just got erased. It was like the living and the dead could collide, sure, but they had to stay separate. Her presence as a ghost could be felt slightly but not completely and definitely not specifically.

Her name was Jenny Stevens. She was the ghost of the woman she once was. And, perhaps, it was supposed to stay that way.

             ____

             What gutted Jenny the most was that she never saw Elijah. Which meant that he didn't think about her... and thinking about that made her feel like a knife stabbed her through the chest. It stung and it hurt and it had been all for him.

            But she refused to believe that he was okay without her. So she walked to the Mikaelson mansion (which she didn't know was abandoned) and once she didn't find him thinking of her there, she just kept walking hoping she'd find him somewhere.

              She loved him, so much, and she needed to see him even if he couldn't see her. Even if it would give her more pain with the fact that he could never know she was there; that he could never know that her last thought before she died was of him.

              And she knew, realistically, he'd eventually move on from her and she'd probably find peace from heartbreak in some sort of twisted way. Because that was love; loving someone so much that there was only happiness for them despite the pain.

               But as she walked and her thoughts got all twisted and marbled, her scenery of shadows changed and then suddenly color. It made her look up into her little wormhole view; it looked like some kind of attic.

             There was only one thing she really noticed though: an open coffin.

And it made her smile.

AN: we are now into the plot of The Originals. You'll see some episodes at least a little bit through Jenny's POV.