04

EXQUISITE CORPSE

Elijah slept peacefully.

Her head was pressed near his chest and she listened to the sound of his undead heart beating. His arms were wrapped tightly around her which she was content to relax in and snuggle into his side (and if forever was on her side, she knew this is where she'd stay).

          His phone kept going off and he didn't even hear it. She wondered if it was her presence that put him at such ease that he didn't even hear his phone with supernatural hearing. (But her wondering was quite true. This was his happy ending: holding her in his arms and nothing could wake him from it.)

           Jenny ignored the ringing a couple of times as she didn't want to wake him after last night. He had been her rock last night that had coaxed her into calming down and falling asleep in his arms. Although, she just didn't stay asleep.

           Also, she knew there were very few moments that Elijah was at peace. Often he was worrying about something and she didn't want him to worry, at least, for a little while longer.

         But the phone rang again and she sighed. She leaned over Elijah to grab his phone but his arms tightened even more around her and his voice startled her, "Where do you think you're going?"

         His voice was husky and quiet. He spoke like it was preposterous that she was even moving to leave his arms.

           She lifted her head up to look at him as she was practically laying on top of him now. One of his hands was drawing slow circles on her lower back with his fingers.

              "Your phone," she answered.

             He hummed, "It can wait."

            "It could be important," she argued.

             "I would say your rather important," he said before looking at her with careful eyes, worried eyes. "Everything can wait until I know you're okay."

             She realized that she had become something Elijah worried about and she hated that. She knew that in the past he had his secret worries that something would take her away from him. But this was different; this time, she was broken and he wanted to fix her.

           She didn't use to be broken.

           "For now," she answered before she held a bright smile. "But even if I wasn't, we'd always have tomorrow."

            Tomorrow. He didn't think he loved a word more than that one. The word that became their form of forever. She was looking at him with hopeful eyes that gave him butterflies, his chest felt warm, and he swore he couldn't breathe for a moment.

              He smiled as his hand tucked her hair behind her ear before he lifted his head up from the pillow to kiss her gently for a moment because he couldn't help it, because he always wanted to kiss the smile on her lips, because he loved it when she was happy (even if she was only happy for him).

               "Tomorrow," he promised once his lips left hers. He promised softly, quietly, madly that made her feel like her heart crashed against her chest. He promised like in one of those love stories he never quite believed in until he met his Jenny.