part i. dearest sunflower

"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
-Roald Dahl

There is a story about a woman who always smiled. A woman named Jenny and how her smile captured the heart of a dark creature.

A dark creature that was known as an Original vampire. He was immortal, could not be killed, and he drank human blood to survive. What a dark creature he was, indeed.

At least, that's the reputation they made for themselves. They were something to be feared to anyone who knew about vampires. But Jenny was clueless on the supernatural and it made it easy for her to like a man like him.

A man, a creature, named Elijah Mikaelson.

He was the beginning and end of everything she knew. He liked her, that like turned to love, and love is damning. And Jenny was, indeed, damned. She was fated to be harmed beyond repair, because no one can be cared for by a dark creature such as he and not be completely and utterly ruined.

Jenny loved him as well, and that made everything worse. To love and be loved in return was not something he wanted. It wasn't smart for someone like him to be involved in the affairs of love. But he was already a monster, of that he was convinced, and monsters do monstrous deeds. Allowing himself love, the act that condemned her to an ill-fated life, was quite a monstrous thing to do. But he did it, anyway. And he regretted it.

All stories have their regret, though. This one a little more than others. And so...

Once upon a time....

AN: I'm taking a fairytale class in college right now so I love saying once upon a time; takes me back to my childhood. Yeah, I kind of gave two extended summaries, but I liked both so I put them both out there.