01

Jenny was in complete shock.

         "You - You can see me?"

         "Of course I can see you," Damon said while standing up and staring at her incredulously. "I'm not blind."

             Jenny rolled her eyes at his response but walked closer to him before she stopped in front of him with a frown. "You just...haven't seen me before."

             "Before?"

             She reached out towards him slowly and he furrowed his eyebrows, "What are you doing?"

              Jenny poked him in the shoulder before she looked up at him like he was a miracle, "Did you feel that?"

             "Of course I felt it."

               She started to smile before launching herself at him and wrapping him in a hug. Damon held his arms lamely by his sides as he muttered, "This can't be real."

           "It is. It is. It has to be," she said as she started to cry. It was the first beginnings of hope that she had in a long time and it was all overwhelming. "I'm alive."

           Damon finally wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly as if trying to protect her from a storm. "Jen, we're not exactly alive."

            "We're?" she pulled away from him slightly to look him in the eyes.

              "Well, if I'm right and I'm pretty sure I am, we're in my own personal hell," Damon said as he watched the hope drain from her eyes.

                 "Oh."

              _____

             May 10, 1994.

          That was where they were. It was a day that was on repeat for Damon and Bonnie for last two months before she showed up. He spent the night telling her everything that led up to him getting there. Apparently, they were both ghosts now.

             Damon was convinced it was his own personal hell, especially, now. He thought Jenny was actually an hallucination; because if there was anything he'd think of to make hell better it was her and her smile.

               Jenny wasn't entirely sure how she was able to exist in this other world. But she thought maybe because it wasn't entirely apart of the living  world, that it was neutral ground for her.

              (She was right. The prison world was neither apart of the living plane nor the dead. It was neutral.)

                Jenny and Damon were sitting on the floor of his bedroom with their backs against the footboard of the bed. They were each lost in their own thoughts.

"Jen, how did you die?"

She sighed, "A car."

He frowned bitterly and took a swig of his now bottle of alcohol. "Of all the ways I thought you died..."

He offered some alcohol to her and she gave him a look, "Damon, I'm a ghost. I can't consume anything. I don't even have the desire to."

"That...sucks."

"Everything sucks. Right now, at least," she responded with the thought of Elijah cutting through her mind.

"Were you happy?" Damon asked and she looked at him in confusion. "When you left Mystic Falls..."

"The happiest," she smiled with a bit of tears in her eyes.

Damon nodded a bit, "At least I kept that promise."

"What promise?"

"Jenna takes it very serious as your best friend and decided to pay me a ghostly visit before she went wherever ghosts went."

"I saw Jenna in I guess Heaven..." she smiled slightly before frowning. "But...I left."

"Why would you go and do that? You should've fit right in. Sunshine and rainbows is your thing," Damon said before looking at her and seeing the dazed look on her face. He shook his head. "God, you still love him, don't you?"

She sighed, "I watched over him from like...beyond or whatever."

"Like that isn't creepy," he commented.

"He was so sad, Damon," her eyes were lost in memory. "He was so sad and I was sad. And I couldn't fix it."

Damon sighed and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his embrace as she started to cry. It was the first moment of comfort she had in a year.

It looked odd, the two of them. It was like a black-and-white movie collided with color.

Later that evening, he offered her the guest bedroom. She didn't want to tell him that ghosts couldn't sleep despite how tired she always was so she just left his room and sat on the staircase until morning.

____

When Damon woke up that morning and came downstairs, he was greeted to a mess in his kitchen and all sorts of breakfast foods. Jenny had gotten bored in the night and decided to cook; it was her nervous, bored hobby.

"Wow."

Damon and Jenny heard the front door and her vampire friend looked alarmed for a moment before Bonnie walked in. She stopped as she took in the kitchen.

"What happened?" Bonnie asked, not seeing Jenny.

"I...cooked," Damon answered.

"You don't sound so sure," she stated, furrowing her eyebrows. "And you said you didn't cook."

"Maybe I lied, Bonnie," Damon responded. "Did you ever think of that?"

Jenny gave him a look, "Don't be rude."

He ignored her and Bonnie eventually let it go and moved to make a plate of all the food. Damon sighed and started to think Jenny really wasn't an hallucination.

AN: so Jenny is in the prison world. ya'll probably wondering where the hell I'm going with this but trust me it'll all make sense.