five

I rip my hands away, scowling at the boy. "Never meant to? Embry, I literally shut down, I couldn't do anything, for weeks." "I'm sorry, Andria. Genuinely." I shake my head. "You don't get to call me that anymore." I hiss, shoving past him, slamming my shoulder into his as I do. I sit down at my seat, realizing his seat is directly behind me. "You need to eat, Alex." "Stop with the food talk, Charlie. I can't do it anymore." I shove the plate away. "I'm gonna need a box," I tell Cora as Embry stiffens behind me. I stalk out after sitting and listening to Embry's friends joke around.

"Alexandria." I hear someone call from behind me. "Leave me alone, Embry." I slam the car door as Charlie and Bella come out. The ride home is silent and I slam my door when I walk into my room. My phone buzzes incessantly as I lie in bed. The next morning, Bella wakes me up, shaking my shoulders as she leans over me. Not being used to being woken up so aggressively, I sit up quickly, wincing at the crack that resonates through the room as our heads slam together. "Jesus, Bella." I rub my head, looking up at her. "Get dressed, we're going to Jake's." She states, walking out.

I get dressed, walking out to the truck with Bella. We pull into Jake's and I stay in the truck until she storms out of Billy's, walking to Sam and his gang walking across the lawn. I run out, following after her. "What did you do?" She yells, walking toward Sam. "What did you do? What did you do to him?" She repeats, shoving Sam aggressively. "Bella!" I try to pull her back but she holds her ground. "Easy." Sam scolds. "He didn't want this." She says. Paul straightens up, his muscles rippling as he does. "What did we do? What did he do, hmm? What'd he tell you?" Paul snarls quickly.

"Both of you calm down." Sam pushes his hands between the two as I step up beside Bella, shoving Sam's arm down. "Don't touch her." I snarl. "Nothing." Bella continues. "He tells us nothing because he's scared of you." This causes everyone to laugh, including Embry. My eyes snap over to him, immediately scanning him over as Bella smacks Paul. I gasp slightly. Paul's breathing shallows as he hunches over, twisting inhumanly as a wolf breaks from beneath his skin. Embry rushes forward, arms wrapping around me as he pulls me to his chest, blocking me from Paul.

He blocks the scene with his body as Jake comes out, a wolf breaking from beneath his skin too. He keeps me held to his chest as snarling and growling are heard, a large crash and Sam stating to take Bella and me to Emily's. Embry slowly pulls back, scanning me over quickly. "Guess the wolf's out of the bag." He jokes quietly, his eyes boring into mine. "Are you okay?" He asks, his voice just as quiet. I nod, staring at the now broken boat across the lawn as Jared walks over to help Bella up. As he drives, Embry spares glances at me every few seconds. "I'm okay," I whisper.

We pull up to Emily's and both the boys yip as they jump out of the truck. I ignore Bella, walking with Embry as he leads me inside, carefully sitting me at the table. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asks. I nod, looking down at my hands. "The poor girl's probably in shock." Emily laughs quietly. "Here, sweetie." She hands me a muffin, patting my hand softly. Soon enough Jake and Paul come in, shoving each other, and then Bella and Jake leave. "Hey, Alex?" Paul says, patiently waiting for me to look up at him. "I'm genuinely sorry if I freaked you out." I nod, looking up at Embry.

"She's not so good with weird." Sam jokes. "I'm sorry," I whisper, continuing to stare at Embry. "What's going on?" "Wanna go for a walk? I can explain everything." That's when Jared perks up. "Finally gonna tell her?" Embry stiffens, growling at the boy. "Yes." He says through gritted teeth. "Promise you're not gonna wolf out or anything?" I ask, half-joking. Despite staring a wolf in the face less than an hour ago, with Embry, I felt safe. Embry laughs, nodding. "Promise." He holds a pinky out causing me to grin, linking mine with his. He smiles, pulling me up and starting to walk.

After walking for a while, we stop, sitting in the middle of a clearing. "Listen, I know this is weird, and probably terrifying, but," "I trust you." I cut him off. "Even after everything I did?" I nod, moving closer to him. "Okay, so, it starts like this," He smiles, his hands coming up as he starts. "Our ancestors, they were called 'spirit warriors.' They shifted into wolves." His eyes light up with amusement. "To protect our lands they fought so many enemies, the only one that remains is the cold ones." I smile at his excitement and nod. "What are those?" "Cold ones?" I nod. He smirks.