Chapter Twenty-Seven

After shaking off the hands that were trying to keep me in place, I darted forward and knelt at Elsie's side. Then I looked at Rielte. The look on his face was answer enough, but still, I had to ask.

"Is she?" I wiped a smudge of dirt from her lovely face. 

"Instantly." Rielte had tears streaming down his face as his hands hovered over her, then clenched.

I didn't realize I had this much pain left to feel. I hadn't known Elsie well, having spent more time besotted with Jeanne, but I knew now that I had feelings for her as well, or I would not have rooted myself to her. I stroked her hair as tear flowed down my face, "She gave me her lucky bracelet... that's probably why..."

I couldn't speak anymore. I hadn't even had the chance to talk to her about her astonishing confession, and now I never could. I couldn't find her magic to bring up her ghost. She was truly gone.  If she'd had her bracelet, perhaps she wouldn't have died. Her face was getting wet from my tears, so I rubbed them away with the sleeve of my robe which was now a sodden mess with her blood.

Rielte put his arms around me and made me stand up.

I laid my head on his shoulder as we knelt there in misery together. He smelled like green meadows but it did nothing to diminish the stench of blood that bathed the city. With some horror, I found that I had a fascination more with the blood than with Rielte. I felt a dull ache in my gums as fangs began to descend. 

"I am sorry that I couldn't heal her, my Lady." His voice broke as he clung to me.

His words shook me out of my fascination My jaw clenched as I tried to calm myself. The bracelet was working somewhat, but still, there were some issues apparently. I took a deep breath to calm myself, then said, "That's not your fault either, Rielte. Luis took Elsie from me. He's at fault here." 

He'd also taken Ciaran from me.

Luis! from this day forward... we are no longer friends. I hate you. 

The root between Luis and me turned a dark gray, and the spikes grew as my growing hatred seethed between us.

His answer was swift. 

 I decide that.

 No! I'm no longer your prey! You took Ciaran and killed Elsie!

Ciaran is in the hands of the Ash, not mine.  The Ash has left Duir and holds that idiot. 

That caused me to pause. The Ash took him? "Is he working with you? Aren't you the one attacking Lars?"

My answer was silence. Rage filled me to the point that my head began to pound.  Before I could say anything else, he cut in.

I am sorry about Elsie.

You're sorry?? You almost killed me! You killed my friend! Sorry is not enough!

No one would dare.  Come to me, or you'll just have more pain to deal with. Your court will be safe if you come to me. I will leave them alone, but you must give them up.

I couldn't believe that this was Luis. This was the Luis that protected me and fed me muffins? This was the Luis I emptied my fears to and relied on? My heart was breaking on so many levels that I could barely breathe.

Anything for my court. I took a deep breath as I started to send him my promise. 

"Madeline Thomas!" The strident voice cut into my grief and interrupted my thoughts so I looked up to see Duir coming towards me along with the Hawthorn Tree. Valenia hurried behind them. Guards flanked the party, and it looked like that arrest might be happening.