Chapter Forty

When we got to the Temple, we found that Zovria was standing next to Valenia with a smug expression on her face.

Although they accepted Jeanne in my place, Zovria was first.

We were tied one and one.

"Regina lost her life in the trials," Duir announced.

Marisol was there with Athalia, and she and Athalia started to wail. Some of Regina's court had arrived, and Luke told me the three people were all that was left.

They had claimed there was cheating, which was being decided this morning.

"Someone set traps in our labyrinth, and we call foul! Our labyrinth was not as detailed in the guide. I call foul on behalf of my departed Lady." Keenan's voice cracked with pain, and it was hard to see the man look so broken. 

Keenan, his brother Enan, and one of the twin girls were all that was left of Regina's court. 

"Elect Madeline's labyrinth was also tampered with. I know because I was to be a party to it!" Marisol sobbed. "My father was sent the key in secret, and I came along because I hated her!"

I regarded her bleakly. This was not news.

She drew in a breath as she tried to control her sorrow, "But, I never wanted to murder her or watch my brother try to do..." She shook her head then shuddered, "Whatever it was he tried to do... I am not sure he was even my brother. Father tried to eat her concubine! How... how was it that he would do that?"

"Vampires..." I walked towards her and reached out a hand in forgiveness. "They were vampires."

"He hadn't been right for several years! I just thought it was worry or age." She was sobbing again. "Brother showed up several days ago. I'd never seen him before, but how could he have been my brother? He looked nothing like Father or me. I should have known..."

"That he wasn't your brother." I finished for her with a nod.

"Ios got a key from someone too. He said he'd reward her greatly for it, and she'd win!" She stared accusingly at Zovria.

The goblin raised her hands in innocence. "I had nothing to do with the death of Regina or Madeline's attempted murder. I ran my labyrinth just like everyone else. You can't prove I did anything!"

She was right. I couldn't prove it, but she'd killed before.

I couldn't prove that either. There was no proof that Zovria killed Xanda, but nonetheless, I could thwart her from getting the prize. "In light of my defeat of Parson, Emerlee, and Joseph in my labyrinth, plus receiving this --" I held up the Cailleach ring, "I believe I should be the winner, not Zovria."

"You found the ring of the Cailleach," Nian said, shocked. "It's the ring that commands the underworld. Every underworld."

I glanced at him, somewhat surprised he was there. 

Then I looked at the gold ring, which had a ruby engraved with a symbol in the center.

"It looks much like the ring that Genghis Khan wore." the Huathe said as he stepped closer to me to look at it. "Are you going to put it on?"

I put the ring back into my pocket. "No, it doesn't belong to me."

I glanced at Duir. I hadn't decided if it belonged to her either. It belonged to the Cailleach, and I intended to get it to her somehow.

Duir sighed, "Zovria was first to the Temple, so her win stands. Regardless of how she might have won, the rules state that the first to the Temple wins the match."