Crazy Little Thing Called Love

They had arrived at the scene, a large open space near the river, where the car was found. The forensics team was already there and working on the car as Lestrade lead Sherlock, John, Victoria, and Sally. The inspector was reading over some notes, "The car was hired yesterday morning by an Ian Monkford. Banker of some kind; City boy. Paid in cash." He watches on as Sherlock looks closely at the vehicle, and taking note of a crying woman that passes by. "Told his wife he was going away on a business trip, but he never arrived."

The two men inspect the car, leaving John and Victoria to deal with Donovan. "So you two enjoy hanging round him?"

John tried to brush it off, "Yeah well.."

"So, what, are you three?" She waves a finger, gesturing to three of them, causing Victoria to scoff in disbelief.

"No, we're not..." John rolled his eyes, blinking a few times. 

"You should get yourself a hobby. Stamps, model trains, maybe. Safer." Sally walks away to stand at the detective's sides as they continued to peer into the abandoned car. There was a large amount of blood over the island between the two front seats. 

"Before you ask, yes, it's Monkford's blood. DNA checks out." Lestrade informed Sherlock.

Victoria takes notice of Sherlock taking the business card that he had found in the glove box, he straightened up after closing the lid. "So, there was no body?" The red head inquired, her arms folded to protect herself from the cold.

Sally chimed in, snidely, "Not yet."

Sherlock looked to Lestrade, "Get a sample sent to the lab." The inspector nods his head, Sherlock walks away, making his way to the woman who was talking to the police. "Mrs. Monkford?" John and Victoria were standing behind the consulting detective, causing the tearful woman to sigh. 

"Sorry, but I've already spoken to two policemen."

"No, no we're not police; we're-" John starts to explain

Then, in a mere second Sherlock reached out a hand, with tears in his eyes, his voice tremulous, "Sherlock Holmes. Very old friend of your husband's. We, um..." He shakes his head, fighting back his award-winning tears. "We grew up together."

Mrs. Monkford knitted her brows together, "I'm sorry, who? I don't think he ever mentioned you."

John and Victoria have to look away. John's face is neutral, and he looks to Victoria who has tears in her eyes, and a hand over her mouth. The man reaches out to touch the woman's shoulder, she's facing away from Sherlock and Mrs. Monkford. He feels her shoulders shaking, "Vic, are you alright?" Then he realizes, she's attempting to contain her laughter, he sighs exasperatedly. 

"I mean I just can't believe it. I just saw Ian the other day. Same old Ian, not a care in the world." Sherlock let out a soft, tearful laugh.

"Sorry, but my husband has been depressed for moths. Who are you?" She looks to the man before her, who now had tears running down his face.

"Really strange that he hired a car. Why would he do that? It's a bit suspicious, isn't it?" Sherlock's eyes held confusion.

"No, it isn't. He forgot to renew the tax on the car, that's all."

"Oh, well, that was Ian! That was Ian all over!" 

"No, it wasn't." The woman's voice was stern now.

Sherlock's persona dropped and he looks at her intensely, "Wasn't it? Interesting." With that he swiftly turned, walking away with his friends following suit. They duck under the tape, making their leave.