Victoria the Flame

The room filled with an uneasy silence, a silence that was shared between two people. Two people who were not strangers. Victoria knew Jim Moriarty all too well, this was the truth she was hiding from Sherlock and she knew if she told him everything, nothing good would come out of it. Seventeen years ago she was confronted by a boy that was around her age, he claimed that he had been watching her family for awhile. He was responsible for the death of Carl Powers and his muses had suddenly befallen on the Phillips family.

Victoria's father, mother, and sister had moved to London because her father had supposedly found a job he couldn't say no to. How true that was. If he would've said no, that would put his family at risk. And so Jim Moriarty had the Phillip's family caught in his constantly expanding web. Moriarty and his helping hands brought on her father's demise.

Suddenly there was a ruckus just above where the two stood, causing Jim to smile as if he knew exactly what was happening. Victoria started to move quickly, but he raised a hand. She stopped herself from going any further. "No, no...You stay right here." Jim ordered.

"My favorite messenger, my favorite fighter, my favorite pawn...I'm here to tell you," He smiled eerily at the woman, "It's not over. You and Sherlock back together...But what will he do when he finds out what you've been up to?" Jim raised a brow, and gave a look of mock-surprise.

"I'll be sure to tell him I had no other choice." Victoria said to the man with a clenched jaw, and tears burning, threatening to fall.

Jim started to pace the cold, empty flat, taking a few steps toward Victoria, "No, you did, but you chose to care. You chose sentiment, dearest Victoria. I was a tiny bit disappointed."

She recalled the deal they had made years ago, if she became his pawn, her family would be safe and of course Sherlock. Therefore she was trained, becoming a messenger for Moriarty and doing his despicable work. He didn't like to get his hands dirty.

"I chose love, yeah, I couldn't let anything happen to my family, to Sherlock..." Victoria shook her head, taking a step back as Jim advanced. "Why are you here? Two months ago I was on one of my assignments, I did what you asked, then you called me, telling me I was a free woman."

"But this is a game now, dear, and the game is just starting for me. You're going to live here, in this very flat, right under Sherlock's nose...Keep your eyes open, Victoria, there's a storm brewing and you are going to be in the middle of it all." He watches the young woman as her face contorts into one of confusion. "It's very simple. You keep your pretty mouth shut, go get a job, restore this flat, and allow me to keep in touch. If you tell anyone, if you run away, and if you ignore me...Your dearest mother and sister will end up just like your father."

Victoria looked over the man's dark figure, and felt the tears fall down her face,"I thought I was free. I thought-"

"You. Were. WRONG!" The man yelled, causing the red head to flinch at the volume of his voice, "You're never going to be free of me, you're far too useful, Victoria. I like to watch you dance." Jim laughed, "You're like a flame, and you're going to help Sherlock burn."

"Victoria I ask for so little, and I'm simply asking for your cooperation, along with information when I ask for it." Jim shrugged nonchalantly, then sauntered over to the mantle, setting down a a slip of paper. It was safe to assume that the consulting criminal was leaving a check for her, money to help put this flat together, if someone didn't know Moriarty they would think he was saint, but Victoria knew him. The money wasn't charity, it was bribery. "Just do what I ask, and no one gets hurt, you know how this works...I'll see you around, Victoria Phillips. I think I'll need to get in touch with a certain general very soon."

Victoria pondered over his words. A general? Could he possibly be talking about Shan? The one Soo Lin Yao had mentioned? She watched as he sauntered toward the door, taking a few steps forward, but stopped when he held a finger up, "Oh, one more thing," Jim turned to her with a smirk on his face, "Better stay in tonight." With those final words he left the flat, leaving the woman behind to let out a breathe of relief, then turned to pick up the check, glaring down at it.