It Felt Real to Me

"How was work?" Carina asked when she heard Maya stomping inside. So, she was still upset. "Here." She held Maya's wedding band out as she met her at the door.

"Why don't you go give it to Gabriella?"

"Really?" Carina tried to brush it off, biting her tongue to stop herself from giving into Maya.

"I don't know. Is that what you want?"

"No, Maya. That is not what I want. Can we please sit down and talk about this like adults?"

Carina sat down at the table, waiting for Maya to do the same. She took a deep breath, not even knowing how to go about everything. Maya walked over to Carina, but she didn't sit down. Instead, she opted for standing, giving her more room to move through her feelings.

"Fine. But I can't believe you-"

"Bambina, it was a dream!" Carina threw her hands up, trying to wrap her brain around how this was even an issue. "You can't seriously be upset with me over a dream."

"You said you loved her!"

"In your dream! And love can hold so many meanings. I love my dad, but that doesn't mean I think he is the best person. I love my interns, but I wouldn't ever get into bed with them; they are like my work children. So, I do love Gabri, just in a she's been my best friend for so many years kind of way. I love you with all my heart, and it's a different kind of love that fills me with warm fuzzies throughout my whole body, and it is only reserved for you."

"You meant it in a you love her with all your heart kind of way." Maya crossed her arms and waited for an explanation from Carina.

"Amore, no one could ever make me feel the way you do. You are the sole owner of my heart. No one could ever change that. I'm sorry you had a bad dream, but I don't know how you want me to rectify that. What am I to do, Maya? How am I to fix something that isn't real and didn't happen?"

"It felt real to me," Maya said with her lip pouting out, starting to tremble as she tried to forget seeing her wife confess her dying love to someone else.

"I know," Carina scooted her chair closer to Maya and pulled her down low enough to brush the loose hair out of her face, tucking it behind Maya's ear. The gesture gave Maya butterflies in her stomach. "but it wasn't."

"You think I'm crazy now." Maya bowed her head, trying to avoid Carina's gaze. "I know I sound crazy. I- It all felt so real. You broke my heart in a million pieces and embarrassed me in front of all our friends, then when I woke up, you were right there- everything was still fresh."

Carina pressed their foreheads together and brought both hands to the side of Maya's face. "You might be a little bit crazy." She laughed when Maya's eyes shot up at her. "I'm kidding. Kind of." They pressed their foreheads back together, "I would never do that to you, amore mio. You know that, right?"

Too nervous to speak, Maya nodded, still keeping her eyes trained away from Carina's. It was finally settling in that Carina technically didn't do anything wrong.

"You are the only one for me." Carina pulled Maya down further until Maya was straddling her lap. At first, she resisted it but quickly gave in. "Look at me. I want to hear you say it."

"I'm sorry."

"No, that's not what I mean." Carina snaked her hands around Maya's waist and pulled her closer. "Thank you, though."

"I am your one and only." Maya batted her eyes, a new rush of emotions taking her over. All the anger melted away looking into Carina's eyes, leaving room for their love to course through her body again.

"You are," Carina said before pulling Maya in for a passionate kiss.

Maya giggled when Carina moved her hands up to her face and felt the cool metal against her skin. She wanted so badly to ask for her ring back but felt her pride was already wounded enough for the day. Or it was just pure stubbornness. Sometimes it was difficult for Maya to differentiate it for herself.

"What is it?

"Nothing," Maya smiled into the crook of Carina's neck as she took Carina's hands in hers, intertwining their fingers and letting the tips of her fingers dance over both of their wedding bands.

Carina picked up on what Maya was after but let it hang in the air and waited for her to vocalize what she wanted.

"If you say so."

Carina let go of Maya's hands and ran them all over Maya's body, making she could feel the gold running along every part of available skin. Carina grinned as she watched Maya squirm under her touch.

"Why do you make me beg for everything?"

"You haven't even asked one time. How could I possibly be making you beg?"

"You know what I want." Carina raised an eyebrow waiting. "Can I please have my ring back?"

"Of course, Bambina, all you had to do was ask." She laughed while Maya rolled her eyes.

Before Carina even got a chance to move, Maya pulled at her ring and promptly placed it on her own hand. A smile spread across her face as she finally felt complete and back to her usual self.

"I love you so much. I'm sorry for everything today." Maya leaned in as close to Carina as possible. Letting the front of their bodies press flat against one another, tension grew as they stared into each other's eyes.

"Il mio amore per te non conosce limiti. I forgive you."

Carina tightened her grip on Maya's waist and began pressing kisses along Maya's neck and jaw, but Maya quickly pulled back.

"Wait. I didn't catch what you said. You love something something... where did the forgive part come from?"

"My love for you knows no bounds. I forgave you in English."

"Oh, well, you can go back to kissing me then."