Chapter 1 A Summer Wasted

A/N: Hello my wonderful readers! Welcome to Melanie's third year at Hogwarts. This year we will dig into Melanie's family secrets. I do hope you all enjoy!

Disclaimer: Here are my characters~ Melanie Rosen, Lenora Lane, Rebecca Chamberson, Richard Chamberson, Livia Rosen, Theodin Rosen, Tinker, Mars Lane, Andre Riddle, Darlene Riddle, Coraline Saunders, Thomas Rosen, Edna Rosen, Valerie Rosen

Everyone else belongs to JKR

(Notice the list has expanded. You'll find out just who all these people are this soon.)

Chapter 1

A Summer Wasted

I sat on the sofa, flipping aimlessly through the channels on the television. This seemed to take up the majority of my summer. Today, I stopped at a news special about some escaped convict named Sirius Black, but did not really pay attention. I so far spent this whole season with my parents. If I planned to go to Hogwarts, I would only have a month left. I still remained firm on my decision not to, but Aunt Becky insisted I give it some time before I made my final verdict.

My aunt had given me endless lectures on my whole pureblood scheme starting with when she took me back home and then preceded to send letters over the summer. Her disappointment did burden me that it almost persuaded me to go back to Hogwarts just to show I can try to makes things right.

Mum, on the other hand, was surprisingly sympathetic to me. She even admitted she didn't tell Dad about her magical family until sometime after they were married. Mum apparently spent the first couple years of her marriage dodging family visits until Aunt Becky one day appeared in the fireplace and nearly gave Dad a heart attack. My mother also strongly hinted that if going by my muggle born identity meant I could possibly be in danger of a monster's attack, she would prefer me to use my uncle's name anyway.

At the sound of the garage door, I knew Dad would walk in at any moment.

"Hey Mel," he greeted as the back door opened. "Where's your mum?"

"Kitchen," I replied, turning my head back to the TV.

As he walked to the kitchen, I grabbed the remote and turned the volume down a few notches so I could listen to them.

"What are you doing, Liv?" Dad asked.

"I'm trying to find a school to send Melanie to next year," she replied, sounding a bit frustrated. "It's not simple. She's already missed two years of normal schooling and her record isn't exactly spotless."

"Are you certain she's not going back to her magic school?" Dad paused before adding, "I mean, we both know your sister wants it and she can be pretty pushy."

"She is not going back, Theodin," Mum answered, firmly. "I won't allow it. She almost died! Besides, Melanie doesn't even want to go back."

"She could change her mind," Dad pointed out. "After all, a lot of kids have bad experiences in school and they just push past it."

"Did you miss the part about our daughter almost dying?" Mum stammered. "I don't care if she wants to go back. She's not going to!"

Not wanting to hear any more of this conversation, I decided to head upstairs. I thought about what Dad said. Perhaps he's right. Sure I was in a bad situation, due to poor decision-making on my part, but that doesn't mean I can't push past it and move forward. Now that I think more on it, hiding from my past was a coward's way of handling the situation and I could not be thought of as that. Not showing up for my third year at Hogwarts was the only way I could get my classmates to think any lower of me. I had to go back.

As I entered my bedroom, I found Aunt's Becky's owl perched on my desk with her letter by its feet. The moment I picked up the parchment, it flew out the window. I sat on my bed to read the letter.

Dear Melanie,

I understand you made up your mind about not returning to Hogwarts. I promise you this will be the last letter I send you on the matter. After this, the final decision comes down to you. I just wanted to tell you I recently spoke with Professor Dumbledore about your situation and he made an interesting suggestion. You would return to Hogwarts using your true name this time. By your name, you will go back to the sorting hat and be resorted into the house the hat deems fit for you by your true identity. Dumbledore says no one has ever been resorted before but there can be a first for everything depending on an individual's unique circumstance. Please give this some consideration. It will give you the chance to start fresh and not have to hide who you truly are. I do hope to see you soon.

Love,

Aunt Becky

I reread the letter several times. I had already decided I wanted to return to Hogwarts, but the idea of changing houses was a bit much to process. But perhaps, a fresh start is what I needed. If I came clean and went by my true name, then maybe this next year won't be all bad.

I stared out the window gazing at the moon, my mind made up. I will return to Hogwarts, but this time, it will be as Melanie Rosen. Now, the only obstacle I faced was convincing my mother to let me return.