21. My Wardrobe

The third bonus Patreon chapter today is dedicated to Dewayne, with many thanks for giving me the time to do something I love. I hope you're enjoying the story!

The rest of this month's payments haven't been processed yet, so your bonus chapters will be posted at midnight or tomorrow morning.

Tess was standing on a plastic box so that she could reach the stove more easily, and I could smell garlic and onions. I took a step closer and saw that she was making an omelette with spicy rice on the side, a simple recipe that was one of my favourites. I'd shown her how to prepare one a few days before, and I guess she wanted to make a good impression. In her place, I would probably have tried something more complex, to show off my skills. But as soon as I thought of that, I realised that a dinner she was confident in her ability to make was likely to be the best choice. She had done really well.

She turned around and put food on a plate for me, and then sat down with her own. Her timing was impeccable as well, and I started to think that I might have underestimated the child's capabilities. It was a little less crispy than I usually enjoyed, but perfectly acceptable, and I made sure to thank her before I gave her some more details about our plans for tomorrow. She said that she hadn't seen my message yet, so I had to explain again that one of my work clients had given me tickets to what seemed to be some kind of strange pre-premiere screening of a new movie. I explained that I didn't quite know the etiquette, but that we would be expected to dress formally, and asked if she would still want to go.

She thought about it for a long time, and then went to her room. I wasn't sure what she was thinking; whether she was talking to her friends, or checking her closet to see what she could wear. But I hoped that the exclusivity of this visit would mean something to her, making a memory she could look back on. But I knew better than to put her under any pressure; she was so young, and I had to bear in mind that this might be an uncomfortable foray into a world she knew nothing about.

Half an hour later, she came back with a smile.

"I wanted to know what this movie is about," she said. "I mean, I heard the title but the ads show you almost nothing about what it is. I know Ffrances was excited, but I wanted to know a bit more about it. Like, would I be the only person there who doesn't know what to expect? That doesn't sound cool."

"I can understand that. So, did a little research suggest it's something you want to see?"

"I don't know. The ads are pretty vague. Even the teaser trailer doesn't really tell you what it's about. And nobody else knows either, like I get that it's some kind of twist movie but nobody seems to know anything about it. A mystery tour, I guess, and that sounds kind of fun. So long as everybody's in the same boat. But then I don't think I've got any clothes that could pass for formal. I don't want to show you up, you know?"

"Well then, maybe I can help to find you something. I've got a ton of old clothes, and I think there might be something suitable in your size. Just give me a few minutes to look through stuff. How about you get started on your homework, and I'll sort out tomorrow. We'll be up early, so try to get an early night. Okay?"

She nodded, and filled a mug of coffee to take up to her room. I was still worried; would she be too excited to sleep, with something special happening in the morning? I wanted to be sure that she would sleep well, so she would wake up fresh to enjoy an early morning movie screening.

Going through all the clothes in the spare room was quite a big job. There were old clothes in there, that I hadn't worn in years. Memories I'd not wanted to leave behind. But there were also costumes I had bought for Tess, things that would suit her better when she started to see herself as a baby girl. And I was sure that one or two of those looked special enough to blend into the crowd at what might turn into either a business-social event or a big media gathering. Fancy dresses with frills, that could have been evening wear for a child. They weren't perfect, but they would do. And I didn't think Tess would object, knowing this was the only way to get into a showing that all her friends would be jealous of.

I selected three outfits, all a little childish for her age, but all smart and stylish enough that we wouldn't be turned away at the door. A compromise I hoped she would be happy with. I gave a gentle tap on the nursery door, but there was no response from the other side. I pushed open the door instead, and saw that she was already deeply asleep. I closed the bedroom door, and locked it behind myself again. And then I hung three dresses on the door handle, where she would see them in the morning. I sent a text message to her phone as well, telling her they were there. I didn't think it would wake her.

I felt a little guilty then, thinking about her being fast asleep so early. If she had stayed up another hour she could still have gotten a little more homework done, and had less remaining to worry about it tomorrow. But I didn't think it was a big deal; she was so often tired now that I knew a few additives to the coffee pot were sometimes the only way to be sure that she was rested before morning.