Chapter 11

They had to see each other again. Life would throw many obstacles at them but the one constant they had was each other.

Hayley had always had black circles under her eyes but it was nothing that a little bit of make-up couldn't fix. Today, her eyes were puffy as if her life source had been snatched from her. Why had she suggested that she and Karan never see each other again? What was she even thinking?

Her grandmother had once told her that there was a red thread connecting you to every person that you meet in your life. Karan had been the one constant she could rely on for what felt like almost her entire life. The connection she felt with him was the only reason she was able to put in as much hard work as she could to achieve what she needed.

But now, that thread had been severed. Whether it was her own foolishness or the cosmos around her putting obstacles before her was unknown. Maybe it was both. Maybe it was neither. The overall result was inevitable.

Hayley's phone began to buzz. It was probably work giving her the details regarding the new assignment. She decided to ignore it and make herself pancakes. Only something as sweet as Nutella would be able to help her through this.

The phone rang again about five minutes later just as Hayley was about to eat a spoonful of the chocolate-hazelnut heavenly delight. She was tempted to watch the phone ring and just take a tub of ice-cream from the freezer. Only problem was she couldn't be this rude to the caller. There was no proper excuse she would be able to say with everything that was running in her mind.

"Hello?"

"Hayley?"

Hayley's breath caught. "Karan."

"I'm not able to sleep. I'm not able to eat properly. I keep getting flashes of our time together and I cannot...I simply cannot forget you. I didn't even think I would see you again but Ganpathi Bappa found a way."

Hayley played with the loose threads of her pashmina sweater, not knowing what to say. "I was thinking that this was a mistake too. We cannot find the answers that we are looking for. I really thought that if we stopped asking the questions we have, we could start over."

"Without each other? Do you really believe that this is the best way to go about it? We have saved each other so many times. I know more about you than I know about myself. Your family, your friends...and now your work in this world. Every realm that we have met in has brought us together. We've...we've died for each other."

"I know. I know that. What do you suppose we can do, Karan? The dreams have stopped. Whatever connected us has been broken."

"And yet, I don't see you accepting what we agreed on yesterday."

Hayley couldn't say anything. She had no answer for this.

"We should go about our lives, Karan. What we had...it was special. There is no denying that, but it's time that we..."

Hayley didn't want to admit it any more than she had to say it. One of them would have to do it at some point. What had Karan said? They had died for each other. What if they died now? In this world? There would be no reversal to it, no start over at the next dream. This was real life and they would have to accept the truth.

Hayley would not be the reason to bring sorrow in Karan's life, nor would she be the reason he dies.

"It's time that we accept reality and start to live here."

*****

Hello! It's been so long since I updated this story. I realised that there were only 4 more chapters to go and I thought "hey why not finish it once and for all?" I hope you have enjoyed it so far! I certainly have loved creating these characters. I will finish publishing the chapters and remake the header images with chapter aesthetics.

I post all writing updates and edits on celestiuswrites on instagram if you want to stay in touch