02.

Chapter 2 | Mondays are dumb.

Camila's POV:

About three days has passed since we moved in. Today is Monday, Mondays are dumb. And you know what else Mondays are? That's right, school days.

Fuck my life.

This is probably the fifth school I've been to in the past three years. Because of that, I have never made an actual friend; that doesn't really bother me though, friends aren't something that I need in order to be happy. Although, I am a junior, and I wouldn't mind having a solid friendship by the time I become a senior. I think we have a decent chance at staying at this house. I mean, whenever we have abusive foster parents, they usually start mentally and physically hurting us in the first day of living with them.

So maybe they're not abusive, but they still might just want to get rid of us in a couple of weeks. Let's hope not, in this house we get to shower for longer than 3 minutes, and we actually get to eat dinner, lunch, and breakfast.

I draw my mind away from the thought of us getting sent away again, and groggily roll out of bed. Seven AM. Way to fucking early. I pad out of my room, walking down the hall to the bathroom I share with my siblings.

Locking the door, I strip my pajamas off and turn on the shower. As soon as I step into the hot water steam immediately wraps around me like a heated blanket. I know not everyone likes hot showers, but personally I love the feeling over the water on me. Especially when it's extremely hot; it's comforting in a way. After washing my hair and body, I turn the water off and get dressed. It's fall, which means it's starting to get cold out, even though I have very minimal clothing choices, luckily I had a pair of baggy jeans and a sweatshirt, so I put those on, along with some sneakers. I really need to go shopping. Jess said I can use her car, but that doesn't feel right.

I put on a little bit of mascara and lip gloss I'd bought last year, and head downstairs to make breakfast for my siblings.

A confused expression makes its way onto my face. Maria and Carlos were sitting at the island eating food already. Marias not allowed to use the stove or oven yet, and Carlos lit my hair on fire last time he tried to cook. No one ever makes us breakfast. I always do it.

"Pancakes?" Jess asks tilting the pan with a freshly cooked pancake in my direction.

"What?" I mutter, still confused as to why she would cook for us.

"Oh, sorry. Would you rather bacon? We also have ingredients to make a smoothie if you want me to make that. Or cereal?" Jess rambles, putting more pancake batter into the pan.

Shaking my head, I take a seat next to Maria, "No, no, its fine. I just usually have to cook breakfast for us, our other homes didn't really do it."

She gives me a sympathetic look, "Well, in this house we do," she brings a plate over to me with a couple of pancakes stacked. "Would you like some?"

I sigh, "No thanks, I don't usually eat breakfast and we have to go to the bus stop." A frown forms onto Jess's face. I'm sure they're good, but regardless, I'm not going to eat them. A sudden burst of sympathy fills my heart, I feel bad rejecting her efforts to make us feel welcome, but old habits die hard.

"I thought I could take you?"

Again, I feel bad, "No, it's okay. But we need to leave now so guys, do you have your backpacks and Maria did you find the lunch I packed you last night?"

Jess nods and puts the plate on the counter, walking to the fridge and pulling out a pink, glittery lunch box. "The food you packed was all of our stale food, so I made her a ham sandwich, put an apple in, and a fruit roll Up."