13.

*unedited*
Chapter thirteen | The dinner pt. 2
Camila:

We take out seats at the dinner table; Maria is sitting next to me, Carlos on the side opposite to me, with Lucas next to him. Jess is beside Maria, Mark is at the end of the table, and Henry is next to Lucas.

I'm currently preparing a plate for Maria, whilst everyone else is preparing their own, apart from Jess, who is pouring some sort of alcoholic drink for Mark, Henry, and herself. If my sister had it her way, she'd be eating nothing but sushi everyday of her life, but she is more lenient to trying new things if I prepare them for her. 

"So, Lucas, how's football going?" Jess asks right as I hand Maria her plate, and begin serving my own.

Lucas shrugs, looking over at her "It's alright, I guess. We have our first game of the season coming up this week, so that's cool."

I've never really talked to lucas about football, in fact, I didn't even know he played until earlier today when Lydia mentioned it. Lydia wants me to go to the game, so I imagine I will, but I've never really been a fan of football. It's not that I don't like the sport, I just don't know anything about it. However, Carlos does, and I'm sure he'll attend every game there is. Not to mention Mark is the teams coach, so going is the nice thing to do.

Henry speaks up, "Yes, we're all very excited to see you play Lucas, and to see your friends play. What are their names again?"

They make eye contact for a moment, before Lucas looks down at his plate, moving the food around with his fork. "Daniel, and Charlie." Henry hums in response, but he doesn't really acknowledge what Lucas has just said.

"I'm going to the game, that's for sure!" Carlos says, smiling brightly at Lucas, causing him to laughing and smile back. I swear, at this point Carlos worships him.

"I wanna go!" Maria says, I look over to her, but she's already staring at me with puppy dog eyes.

"We'll see," I tell her, and Lucas laughs. It's quite, and quick, but it's still noticeable.

"So, Camila, you're in Lucas' grade, correct?" Henry says, looking at me, with an expression I can't quite figure out. He kind of looks bored? I guess, I don't know.

"Uh, yes, I am." I say, trying to stop the awkward situation I can already feel arising.

"Hmm," he hums, I assume he's going to follow that up with another sentence, but he doesn't. So now, once again, we're all sitting in silence, with nothing but the sound of knifes and forks scraping against plates.

"Oh!" Lucas exclaims, breaking the silence, causing all of our heads to turn up to face him. "I just remembered I forgot to feed Rosie, so can I go do that really quickly, and then I'll be right back?" He asks his dad, and, in a way, Mark and Jess.

Henry is about to open is mouth and speak, before Maria beats him to it, "Who's Rosie? I wanna meet them!"

———

So, Maria roped Lucas into letting her come with him to feed the mysterious 'Rosie', and then Carlos wanted to come with them as well, so they let him. Oh, and would you look at that, I got forced to go with them to make sure they behave. So, here we all are, entering Lucas' house.

It's the same as last time I came into it; very open, very cold, and kind of sad. Maybe that's why he has parties in it so often, to try and give it some life, some happiness.

A tapping sound echos across his house, to reveal a large dog, wagging their tale and barking excitedly. This must be Rosie.

———

it's my birthday today 🤭🤭

sorry that this is so short guys, i just wanted to get it to you quickly (there will also be a part three)

i do think that most of my future chapters will be around this length or a little bit longer as it helps me keep the motivation x

thanks for reading!

-juniper x