05.

Chapter Five | Mall interactions

Camilas' POV:

The past week has flown by. Surprisingly, I've managed to avoid Lydia and the guys the whole week. I've received five or so messages from Lydia asking if she did anything wrong or if I'm okay, Charlie and Danny passed me a few notes in class, but I didn't read them, and as for Lucas, I've caught him looking at me through his window a few times, so my blinds are often closed now. Although, because Lydia works for Jess, she's talked about me a few times at Jess' restaurant, so I've had to avoid every dinner conversation about "the importance of making and maintaining friendships' talk with them.

My siblings however have made plenty friends. Maria has a playdate with a new friend almost every weekend, and Carlos has formed a good friendship with some kid from his grade. In fact, Carlos is out with his friend now. Maria was going to hang out with a girl from her class today, but that girl got a cold so she couldn't go.

Evidently, I'm now stuck taking Maria to the mall so that she can get this stuffed bear from Target she saw one day. Because of this, Jess and Mark insisted I take their car and two hundred whole dollars to buy myself new clothes. I didn't want to take their money, and I still feel really bad about it, but they wouldn't take no for an answer. Jess said that to pay her back I can do a few shifts at her restaurant, which of course I agreed to, but if it is on the same days and hours that Lydia works, then I'll probably have to socialize with her.

"Can we get Sushi after we are done getting my teddy bear?" Maria asks from the passenger seat, snapping me out of my thoughts. I glance over to her quickly with a smile as I turn into the parking lot of the mall.

"Yes we can get sushi after we shop," I answer, parking the car and turning the engine off. It feels so weird being back at a mall, I don't think I've gone to one in at least like a year. "okay, lets go."

Maria smiles widely and jumps out of the car, practically jumping up and down. I grab the keys, money, Marias' hand and lead her to the inside.

***

After we bought her bear and a few new pairs of clothes, we wound up in the food court ordering sushi. I order our food, and then, as we're walking, I see something. Or rather, someone.

I could tell it was them easily; they're giving way to much PDA it's disgusting, actually. I look down at Maria who has noticed it too and is scrunching her nose up in a grotesque manner. We have to walk past them in order to get to the car, so, sighing I grab my little sister hand and pull her along, trying to get past them as quick as we can. But it's to late. I thought for sure they would be to caught up in their make out session that they wouldn't notice me, but sure enough, Blair is calling my name and waving me over.

"What do they want?" Mar asks me as we trudge over to the couple.

I internally roll my eyes and respond, "They probably want to either insult me, or ask why I don't want to hang out with them anymore." She just hums in response as we get to Lucas and Blair.

"Hi Cami!" Blair says in a sickly, sweet, high pitched voice. Lucas just raises his eyes in a greeting sort of way. "And hello to you! Who might you be?" She says, leaning down to Marias' level and patting her on the head.

My sister simply steps back and swats her hand away, looking over at me, "Está rara, creo que todos esos besos asquerosos se le han subido a la cabeza y la han vuelto loca." She says, turning back over to Blair and looking her up and down. I snort at my sisters comment, which causes the couple to furrow their eyebrows at what Maria said.

"What? What did she say?" Blair asks frantically, to which I shrug, and Maria giggles.

"It doesn't matter. Blair, this is my little sister, Maria. And also, please don't pat her head, she doesn't like strangers," I say. Blair fake gasps and puts a hand over her heart.

"Oh! I'm sorry. Is that an effect of your homes?" She says, giving me an insincere smile. Both Maria and I stiffen up. As does Lucas. How dare he. I glance over at him for second, an ashamed mask shields his face and he darts his eyes away from mine.

"Excuse me?" I ask, but it's more of a 'don't you dare say that again' sort of tone.

Blair has a breathily laugh and then look at me with a tilted head, "Well, I'm just saying, I remember reading something that says orphans don't get very far in life. You know, they all lack social skills and what not." Maria goes closer towards me and grabs my hand. She hates when people talk about us being orphans; it's such a sensitive subject that it makes her cry every time. I look down at her to see her eyes already glossy and her lip quivering. "You know, I would really hate to be an orphan. It must suck that your parents died, did they die? Or did they go to jail? Or just leave you all? What happened Cami?" She continues. That was it. Maria has now burst into tears.

"¿Podemos, por favor, irnos Camila?" She says in between sobs.

"Go to hell." I answer, looking at Blair with a cold, straight face. I then roll my eyes at Lucas, "Both of you." I pick Maria up, and leave the mall.

As we get into the car, Maria has finally stopped crying, but her eyes are still red and glossy. She turns to face me, while I start the car. Still sniffling a little bit, she speaks, "I know that those people might not be your friends, but I think you should have some."

I furrow my eyebrows and look over at her, "I don't need friends Mar; I need to look after you guys."

This results in her sighing loudly, "Yes, you do. Car and I have friends, you should too. Mark and Jess are looking after us. I may be young but I see things you know. I see that at every knew home, and every new town, and every new school, you avoid everyone but us. I get that you are scared that we could get hurt again or separated, but right now it looks like that won't happen. We want you to be happy; and you haven't been truly happy since what happened to mamá. She would want you to be happy."

Wow. Never in my whole life have I ever heard Maria said something so grown up. But I still can't. I won't risk it. I sigh and start driving, "Lets just go home, Mar."

She huffs and looks out the window, her stuffed bear still in her lap. I turn on my music, and try to drown out the continues sounds of Blairs' words that are repeating in my head over and over.

--

A/N

Sorry this is short, I didn't have much more to put in the chapter

I know I said this one would be long and super good, but I think it makes more sense if I split them into two. But because of this, you guys get this chapter earlier, and hopefully chapter six within a few days!!