CHAPTER 5

It was one of the busiest days at the diner. Mandy had been on her feet all day and her ankles were aching. So, when Lorelai and Rory walked in, Mandy nearly collapsed in relief. 

"Wow, busy today. Has Luke been advertising or something?" Lorelai asked.

"He gets good word-of-mouth," Rory replied, smiling at Mandy as the girl made her way over to the duo. 

"Well, we have to start spreading bad word-of-mouth so we can always have a table."

"I would agree, but that would mean less pay for me so... no thanks," Mandy cut in, sitting with them at their table. 

"It would definitely be wrong, but sure. Vermin?" Rory squeezed Mandy's hand under the table, sensing she was exhausted.

"Or no potable water," Lorelai continued. 

"Or no potable vermin."

"That would scare them away."

"Or confuse them away."

"Who needs any of that? Luke scares out enough customers as it is," Mandy laughed.

Lorelai's attention was solely on Luke at that point. "It's so weird seeing him talk like that."

"Like what?"

"Just all friendly. He's usually only good for a quick couple of gruff monosyllables, and then he's off."

"Or a joke only he understands," Mandy muttered to herself with a grin.

"He is the master of the monosyllable," Rory agreed.

"He never flirts with any of the women, do you notice that?"

Rory and Mandy looked at each other and rolled their eyes. "He's flirted with you numerous times."

"Like, many times," Mandy added. It was so clear to her that Luke had been in love with Lorelai for years. It would be a dream come true for the girl to see the two of them get together, but she knew that Lorelai was too oblivious and Luke was too shy for that to happen any time soon.

"Don't start," Lorelai sighed.

"Hey, flirt with him now, we need coffee."

"Can't you get us some?" Lorelai complained, looking toward Mandy. "You work here."

"My feet hurt and I am on my unofficial break. Flirt."

"Fine." Lorelai turned back towards where Luke was working. "Oh Luke, we're just dying for some refreshments!"

"Keep your pants on," Luke grunted from across the diner. 

"Hmm. He can turn it off and turn it on so fast," Lorelai commented. 

"Mandy, table 8!" Luke called from behind the counter.

"Fine," the girl grumbled, bidding her favorite Gilmores farewell and going back to work. 

It was hours before her shift ended and they closed. Mandy sat on the counter counting her tips from the day as Luke cleaned down the tables.