CHAPTER 9

Jess Mariano loved being friends with Mandy Forester. Luke liked it, too. It meant fewer complaints from his customers about their constant arguing. The bickering was still present, of course, but it had turned playful. Entertaining, even.

For the first time since he moved to Stars Hollow, Jess had someone to talk to. He had a reason to pay attention in class because he wanted to be able to discuss the homework or topic after they left. He still feigned indifference to keep his "image," but secretly loved the way she'd tease him for it at work later. They liked the same music. They liked the same books. A part of him felt drawn to her in a way that he hadn't felt before.

When he'd make an analogy that wouldn't make sense and try to fix it, she would stop him because she understood what he meant. She was able to articulate his thoughts before he could even piece them together. In a way, she brought out the best in him.

And he started to see a new side in her. The silly, joking side that she kept solely for her friends. He'd never admit it to her, but he felt honored that she could show that part of who she was around him. Jess was one of few, and he knew it. He was lucky to earn her trust, let alone her true self. All in all, he was happier than he had been in months.

Mandy Forester hated being friends with Jess Mariano.

She was the type of person who rarely misjudged someone's character. She also hated being wrong. So, when she started to realize that both were true in the case of Jess, she did her best to push her discomfort aside and let him in, just a little.

Or at least, that's what she told herself.

She noticed the way he'd quietly take notes in the back of their classes, even if he rolled his eyes and refused to turn in their homework. She noticed the way that he'd find ways to talk to her at school, even if he didn't sit at lunch with her and Dean. She noticed that for the first time in a while, she felt less lonely.

Sure, she had Lane and Dean, but she knew deep down that she'd always be second to Rory in their eyes. Mandy knew that Rory was Jess' priority too, but she never felt like she was a placeholder for someone who wasn't there. She was just Mandy. Most of all, she was someone he wanted to talk to. That in itself was an honor bestowed on few and she recognized that.

Mandy was used to working in the diner with only Luke and Caesar til late hours, but all of a sudden it felt empty without Jess. She told herself to stop being dramatic, that she didn't actually miss him when he wasn't around, but deep down she knew it wasn't true. He'd become a constant in her life and she wanted to keep it that way.

The town was aware of the change as well. Miss Patty would talk to anyone who passed the studio and Kirk glared at Jess every time he passed, pointing with two fingers to his eyes and then to Jess. The happiest resident was by far Mr. Gandolfi, who owned Stars Hollow Books. The two friends would stop there after school on a daily basis, and even if they didn't buy anything, he loved the company. The man was growing older and appreciated it when Mandy would elbow Jess until he'd ask how the grandkids were doing.

There were mixed feelings about the change, but no one was more confused than Rory Gilmore.

"Mandy, I thought you hated his guts," she complained, lounging on Mandy's bed during their 30 minutes of prescribed "girl time" away from Dean.

"I thought I did, but it turns out we're actually very similar." Seeing the aghast look on Rory's face, Mandy smiled. "He's not as bad as you'd think."