Six months later.

Things had been going well for the last few months. Natasha and I were closer than ever, I spent most of my days surrounded by the whole team, I never missed a training session, I slept peacefully most nights and I finally had full control over my powers. Wanda continued to teach me everyday, and we'd recently discovered the full breadth of my abilities. Along with being able to control objects with my mind I was able to slow time. I could only slow it for a few seconds, and it zapped every last bit of energy from me but it could be used in emergencies if it was ever necessary. When we'd discovered that ability Wanda had warned me to never use it unless it my life depended on as it could be enough to kill me if I wasn't careful. This meant that I never practised it and that I never would, so the prospect of someday having to put it to use was terrifying.

Today was scheduled as a rest day for everyone since some of the team had been away on a mission and only just returned. I was the only one who didn't enjoy rest days, usually going about my usual schedule to keep my mind occupied and tire myself out before bed. Sleeping had become easier, but it was still really tough sometimes so I made sure to fill my days so that I'd fall asleep quickly. If I spent too long lying there thinking my thoughts would grow too loud and the prospects of rest vanished. So whilst everyone was sleeping in, including Natasha, I got up and readied myself for the day ahead. I'd spoken to Tony last night and convinced him to let me leave the tower on my own today, for the first time since he'd found me. I usually had to be accompanied by someone as I tended to get mixed up in trouble, but he'd agreed that I could go on my own as long as I was only out for three hours max.

When I was waiting for the elevator Sam rounded the corner towards me, a beaming smile on his face just like the one that grew on mine. Sam was one of my favourites, not that I'd ever told him that.
"Where you off to Rue?"

"I'm just going out for a bit and before you ask, yes Tony said it was okay." He raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, okay. Just don't go causing trouble, otherwise I'll have to come and save you like usual." He was laughing at his own words so I sent him an innocent glare.

"Ha ha Sam, you're so funny." Just as I finished speaking the elevator dinged and the doors opened, welcoming me in.

"Have fun kid." We gave each other a wave through the gap in the doors as they closed, and I was alone. It felt weird heading out into the world again alone, almost like I was stepping back into the shoes of the girl that lived on the streets. Who had to fend for herself everyday with nobody to lean on. That was when it hit me, just how grateful I was to have this family (especially Natasha). But before my thoughts could roam any further, I reached the ground floor and the doors of the elevator opened to reveal the glass walled lobby of the tower. Beyond them was the city, and I couldn't wait to be back.

As I stepped out onto the street I just began walking with no destination in mind, my body carrying me where it wanted to go. Not before long I was wandering along with my hands wrapped around a hot chocolate, heading towards my favourite park. I'd spent many nights sleeping on a bench here, or sitting for hours just watching people go about their lives. Back then I'd had no life of my own, living a mundane existence and I'd dreamed of having any type of obligation so that I felt needed. So as I took a seat on one of the benches I couldn't help but smile, as for the first time I was visiting this place as someone who was needed by so many people for so many things. I had purpose in the world.

Once I'd taken it all in I began looking around at everyone, and that was when someone in particular caught my eye. It was a young girl, twelve maybe, and she had the blondest hair. She was curled up on a bench across from me and not long after I'd spotted her she opened her eyes to meet my gaze, her blue eyes boring into mine. I assumed she was homeless so I decided I'd offer her the croissant I'd bought in a bakery that I'd passed on my walk. I walked over to her slowly as to avoid startling her before crouching down a short distance away, our eyes meeting again.

Never Alone Again |N.R|जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें