Almost over.

When Clint and I finally began our descent into Russia, a feeling of dread filled my stomach. I was fearful of what I'd find waiting for us in that building, but all I could do was hope that Rue was still in the land of the living.

After what felt like forever we landed the quinjet, making sure to set it down somewhere more isolated. We couldn't afford for anyone to know we were here before we made that clear ourselves. Once the engines stopped whirring I took a deep breath and worked to settle my pounding heart before rising to my feet and walking into the centre of the jet. The rest of the team were all focusing on themselves, double-checking that they had everything they needed and pulling on the last of their uniforms. It was almost go time, and I was truly torn. A part of me wanted to race in there right now, whilst the other was almost too afraid to take one step in that direction.

Something inside told me that Rue was alive, but for some reason I was doubting my instincts for the first time. If she was alive, she'd managed to keep herself that way for a good 6 hours or so. Maybe she was hiding in there somewhere, or maybe they'd caught her and were exposing her to unthinkable harm. No. I couldn't let my mind wander like that, not if I wanted us to save her.

Clint seemed to notice my internal conflict, discretely gripping my hand in his at our sides to draw my attention. When my gaze lifted from our entwined fingers to his face I was met with a small smile. "She'll be okay Nat. We're here now." I found it hard to truly believe his words but I did my best, just offering a halfhearted nod in reply as he squeezed my hand one more time before letting me go.

"Right, does everyone know their mission?" I quickly scanned all of their faces, looking for any doubt or question in their expression, but only being met with focus and determination. They all nodded confidently, and that was all the confirmation I needed.

With that I pressed the button to lower the ramp and traipsed down it, everyone following me close behind as we were met with the bitter air. I was used to it, having grown up in Russia, but some of the others visibly shivered. It wouldn't matter though. Nothing was going to stop us from getting Rue back, nothing.

The journey over to the compound was mostly silent, other than a few mutters here and there about our surroundings and any people that looked slightly suspicious. It was eerily quiet in the streets, but none of us paid much attention to that. We had one hell of a mission ahead, and everyone's hearts were in it. Rue was family, despite some of the rocky parts, and she needed saving.

Everyone had their positions. Clint and I were going to enter through the back, the same place Rue had made her way inside last time. No doubt she'd used that window again, but I tried to push thoughts like that out of my mind. She'd almost died the last time we'd attempted to take down the Red Room, and she hadn't been totally alone then. But I needed to believe in her abilities, that she'd managed to keep herself out of harms way. Please be alive Rue, please.

Rue's POV

I'd been hiding under one of the girls beds for going on five hours now. For some reason, they'd been woken up to do a drill not long after I got inside early this morning, and they hadn't returned to their beds since. As much as my body ached from being curled up, I'd have to wait until night fell before I put my plan into action again. If they were alerted to my presence now there was no way I'd make it out alive, let alone complete my mission. No, I'd have to stay hidden under that bed until all of the girls were handcuffed and asleep.

Under the cover of darkness I'd slip out from under the bed and make a quick exit. These girls were taught to sleep lightly, so making any noise on my way out would surely wake them up and they'd alert the nearest guard to my intrusion. So once I was clear of that risk and out in the hallway, I'd have to locate Dreykov's office. No doubt he'd set up shop in the same room Madame B used, but this building was somewhat of a maze and he would definitely have heightened security. My best bet was using the air vents to navigate, it would be much safer and quicker that way. Although they were a whole different kind of maze, and certainly one I didn't have the first idea of how to complete.