What happened to you?

Rue's POV

The journey back to New York had been quicker than expected, my mind having been totally enveloped by the many dark moments of my trip to Russia. I'd been so focused on my thoughts that I hadn't noticed us landing, or all of the team departing. Natasha had leant down in front of me again but I couldn't move, I couldn't even utter a word to her. So she'd gone to get Bruce in hopes that he could help me. Whilst I sat there and waited for his arrival, a couple of people boarded the jet and opened the hold. They lifted Madame B's body out in the body bag and I watched them all of the way until they disappeared inside. I'd killed someone. Sure, that woman was a monster but I was a killer. Unlike previous times where my life was on the line and I had to kill someone to save myself or others, I'd killed this woman out of my own choice. I was a killer.

That realisation hit me just as Bruce boarded the jet, standing awkwardly in front of me. "Rue, are you okay to come with me?" His low voice snapped me from my mind, and my eyes met his. I just nodded in reply, rose to my feet and followed in his shadow as we stalked inside. I kept my head down as we walked the hallways, desperate to avoid any eye contact with the people around me. After a few minutes of mindless walking Bruce led me into the Med Bay.

"Alright Rue, I'll leave you to change into this gown then I'll be back to run tests."

"Tests? But I'm fine."

"I'm sorry Rue but you've got some nasty injuries to your face, you're pale, you've lost a considerable amount of weight in just three weeks and you winced when you stood up a minute ago. I know you probably just want to sleep in your own bed, but I need to make sure you're okay first." He'd caught me, and there was no point arguing against the truth.

"Okay" I replied before he stepped out of the room to give me some privacy. I slowly removed my clothes, my body stiff from sitting down for so long and painful from just about everything. A few minutes after I'd pulled the gown over my head, Bruce returned and he quickly got to work.

"The first scan is going to show me any possible bleeds or damage to your organs. It's just a precaution." As I laid there, I just hoped that he wouldn't notice a newly missing organ. Although he didn't seem to mention it.

"Okay, you've got a slight bleed on your liver again so we'll have to monitor that. It's probably still slightly weakened there from last time, but it should be fine."

He then proceeded to carry out more tests, but my mind drifted between each one.

"Okay, you're done. A lot of your injuries are bruising, other than the liver bleed and a few broken ribs. All in all you're not too bad."

"Thanks, now can I go back to my room?"

"Fine, but can you please come back first thing tomorrow for some more tests?" I gave him a nod before climbing off of the bed and leaving. I slowly made my way back to my room, the one I shared with Natasha. It felt like it had been forever since I'd been in there. When I opened the door Natasha wasn't inside, so I grabbed some comfortable clothes from the wardrobe before heading into the bathroom and locking the door behind me.

Natasha's POV

I was sat in the kitchen making a start on my mission report when Bruce walked in. He slowly approached me and stood a few feet away until I noticed his presence. "You okay Banner?" I asked, slightly confused by his standing there.

"I wanted to talk to you about Rue. I've just done some tests on her and I had a question."

"Sure, go ahead. Is she okay?" I was worried now.

"She's got a few broken ribs and a small bleed on her liver, nowhere near as bad as last time."

"Okay, good. So what was your question?"