All alone.

When I opened my eyes, I stared up at the morning sky between two buildings. That was when I remembered the events of last night. The ones that had landed me in this alleyway without a bag. As I tried to move a wave of pain engulfed my body, and I had to bite down on my lip to avoid screaming out. It was like nothing I'd ever felt before, the worst pain of my entire life. Slowly, I rolled over onto my right side and used my hand to push me up. My legs were covered in cuts, bruises and blood as I was sure the rest of me was. I needed to get back to the compound.

It took me over a minute to stand up. I'd taken my high heels off as there was no way I'd be able to walk in those. I crossed my arms over my chest as I shivered, making my way out of the alley and onto the main road. I hailed the first cab I saw and climbed in, their face covered with concern when they saw the state of me in the rear view mirror. "Someone stole my purse, so I have no money to pay you." I expected him to tell me to get lost, but I was surprised by his response. "That's no problem darl. Where do you need to go? The hospital?" I looked up at his eyes in the mirror. "No, the Avengers tower please." With that he put his foot on the accelerator and we were headed home. Or whatever that place was to me.

When we arrived I thanked the driver profusely, and he just wished me to get better. When I got inside I headed straight for my room. It was still pretty early, and everyone would probably sleep in late after their mission. I was glad when I made it to my room without seeing another soul. I shut my door behind me straight away before taking a seat on my bed. I couldn't move anymore for right now. I'd barely made it this far.

Just as I was collecting myself, Bucky burst into my room whilst speaking. "Rue, you awake?" Our eyes met and all of the air left his lungs. A surge of adrenaline allowed me to push him out of my room. "Get out! Now!" I screamed at him before slamming the door and leaning my weight against it. I just wanted to be left alone.

"Rue, let me in. What happened?" I didn't reply. I had no idea what to say.

Natasha's POV

I was woken up by shouting outside my room. Alarmed I quickly climbed out of bed and stepped out into the hallway. Bucky was shouting outside Rue's door. "Bucky, what's going on?"

"It's Rue. She's covered in blood. She's hurt. But she won't let me in." What? What did he just say?

"What do you mean she's hurt?"

"She's wearing a dress and it's all torn and dirty. But she's covered in blood. It looks like someone's beaten her up, badly." Oh God, she needed to let one of us in at least. I'd seen her somewhat like this before, so I thought she might be more willing to let me see her.

"Let me try." I nudged Bucky back from the door and leant my ear against it, listening in. I could hear someone gasping for air.

"Rue, it's me Natasha. Can you let me in? I need to know that you're okay." She didn't reply.

"Rue, please?" I listened intently again through the door.

"Fine. But I don't want Bucky to see me like this."

"Okay, I'll ask him to leave." Bucky just stared at me in shock, prepared to argue with me.

"She doesn't want you to see her like this Buck. She wants you to go." He furrowed his eyebrows now, confused.

"What? But I don't care what she looks like. I just want to make sure she's okay."

"She knows that, but she won't let me in unless you leave and I need to see what state she's in. Please." After a few moments he nodded in agreement, plodding off down the corridor.

"Okay Rue, he's gone. It's just me. Can you open the door now?"

I waited patiently as the handle slowly lowered, unlatching the door and allowing it to swing open. Rue was swaying on her feet, and I rushed forward to catch her before she fell. I carried her over to the bed before perching her on the edge, kneeling down to see her face. Both of her eyes were swollen and bruised, the whites of them now a crimson colour. She had a nasty gash on her cheek and scuffs everywhere else. Blood had dried to her skin as well as in her light blonde hair. Looking down I saw her arms and legs covered in cuts, her dress torn in places to reveal injuries there too.