Chapter 10 - A Beautiful Kingdom

Lirya's body weakened and numbed. Her eyes fluttered shut and only small wisps of breath left her mouth. Where the vampire had bitten her, an unceasing throbbing pain sharpened as a tingling feeling began to invade her toes and fingertips. Then, she felt nothing. Her finger twitched as she tried to move, but she felt nothing but the ache in her neck.

Frozen in shock and unable to comprehend, Jason, Leus and Haverik looked on in horror. Vampires, as they now saw that the stranger was, were creatures of the Abyss. They were mid-class monsters rarely seen on Dargon - and certainly not by four youths who had never explored the world. The bloodsucking monsters were myths - bedtime stories told by mothers to scare a child into behaving.

Lirya... felt nothing. Not even the pain at her neck, where she'd been bitten. Instead, she felt strangely light...

Lirya's spirit rose from her body and peered around in shock. She looked through her hands and frowned, convinced it was some sort of illusion, until she saw her body.

I'm a ghost?! She thought incredulously, W-What happens now?

All of a sudden, she felt a growing ache in her body, not unlike the feeling of pricking your finger with a needle - but all over your body. The pull of the Ether strengthened and Lirya felt unconsciously pulled towards some place, somewhere. Her form faded as she gave way to the pull, but she fixed her eyes on her newfound friends as she faded away. To her surprise, she saw Jason looking straight at her, his auburn eyes burning.

His mouth opened and he mouthed, "I swear we'll find you, Lirya! No matter where you may be - where you may go! Wait for us!"

She gasped, then her body faded fully and the scene before her blacked out. Suddenly, she found herself in a long, grey brick-tiled tunnel lit with eerie green lanterns hung at intervals.

<--<< >>-->

He was seeing things again... strange apparitions appearing out of people's bodies. Jason was convinced he was crazy. The first time he'd noticed was when he, himself, was the apparition. Now, Lirya appeared. Considering the fact that she might just be able to see him, like he'd seen them in the dungeon, he looked at her apparition and mouthed a promise. The apparition gasped, then faded away.

"No!" Jason jumped, his arm stretched as if he could pull the spirit back. He stood and lowered his arm slowly, his eyes wide.

"Jason, what is it?" Leus touched Jason's shoulder, subtly reminding him that there was still a danger in the house.

Jason took a deep, steadying breath, then he and Leus turned to face the vampire, who stood straight, peering at a rapidly closing wound on his stomach. Dried blood caked the flawless skin under the torn and bloodied clothes and cloak. Satisfied with the result, the vampire looked up at the others before gently lowering Lirya's body to the ground, removing his cloak, and flinging it onto her body.

He wiped the blood from his chin with a swipe of his arm and stepped towards Jason, Leus and Haverik, who stood a bit behind the others.

"S-Stay away from us!" Jason hollered, backing away.

The vampire frowned, but stopped.

"Say... you've awakened as a Guardian, haven't you, Boy?" The vampire said, then he switched his gaze to Leus before finally landing on Haverik, "And you too?"

He muttered, "The end of the Golden Age is fast approaching, then. Perhaps I should dispose of these children - and pass the gift on to someone more worthy?"

The vampire raised his voice and addressed the boys, "You boys, awakened Guardians - what family relations do you have? Answer me now!"

Haverik jumped at the vampire's harsh tone, but answered quietly, "I only have an old drunkard of a sire, mister vampire."