Chapter 29 - Crystal

The archangel prince had been tending the wounded soldiers who came in droves sporting injuries ranging from cuts to fatal injuries. His job was to bandage them up as best he could after the healers had healed the worst of the injuries.

In truth, I am glad not to return to the hell they call a 'battlefield'. Not only would it force me to rely on my powers, but also bring back unwanted memories... Aidan thought.

In his mind, Cress asked, What if the reason we were freed was to sacrifice ourselves for this war? To save the guardians? Would you do it?

Aidan laughed, a hint of resentment in his tone.

Do I have a choice? My great-grandfather, Cassiel, swore to serve my lord Pelos. And the ones who gifted the mortals the crystals and the key were my great-grandfather's lieutenants. I am bound by our old blood oath to aid lord Pelos' subjects.

I am a slave to my ancestors... as are you, Cress. It was our very own ancestor who had the entire race of darkangels cursed.

A commotion broke out as a soldier ran into the makeshift healing camp with urgent news.

"The demon general, Tarbork, killed Lord Jaron and Lady Dethemina! They sacrificed themselves so that the demons would not invade. We need to go and help!"

It is too late, lad.

Nothing you can do can bring back the dead, Aidan thought.

News of their death did little to shake him, as he knew not who they were. However, the name of their killer brought about a surge of emotions so potent and so foreign, yet familiar to him at the same time. He felt a wave of rage wash over him.

Why did the name of that demon rouse such fervent emotions within him? There was something... something had been taken. Stolen.

Cress tried to calm his rising ire. But Aidan found himself unable to control his anger, or his emotions when they were set free upon him like an animal released from a cage.

His wings, previously hidden away by magic, exploded outwards in a blast of white and Aidan launched himself up into the air with nothing but rage clouding his senses.

"Archangel prince!" A human noble with pale blonde hair called desperately, "Please do not go after the demon general recklessly! Wait for us to gather the armies first!"

"That demon must be killed!" he screamed, pausing for a moment as his wings beat, keeping him afloat.

No. Aidan, please no. You will harm the people! Do not risk yourself for a cause you do not believe in! Cress cried, but to no avail.

Aidan turned around, fury contorting his face, then sped off in the direction of the battlefield.

He flew through the sky, ignoring all pain and suffering below. The wind whistled past his ears and through his feathers, causing his head to spin, forcing his eyes shut tightly against the light. His wings pumped harder and faster. When his eyes zeroed in on a large, bright red figure steadily approaching the elven army, he tucked into a steep dive and landed heavily in front of Tarbork, the impact sending the lesser demons flying.

"WHERE IS IT?!" Aidan roared, "Where is the crystal?! Return it this instant, demon scum!"

Crystal...

A surge of repressed memories flooded his mind and Aidan recalled all that he'd forgotten.

The culprit of Aidan's captivity was none other than the demon general himself, for the sole reason of stealing a golden crystal. A memory from even earlier was of Aidan being tasked with the protection of the crystal. And the final memory he had before Lirya freed him was of Tarbork's hand reaching for his head as magical runes appeared...